Director, Vancouver Airport Authority, Board of Directors
April 21, 2021
Friday, May 14th @ 5 PM
Vancouver Airport Authority is governed by a Board of Directors of up to 15 members. Nine board members are appointed by eight nominating organizations; Engineers and Geoscientists BC is one of the Nominating Entities responsible for appointing Directors to the Board of Directors of Vancouver Airport Authority (VAA/YVR). The incumbent director appointed by Engineers and Geoscientists BC has reached the maximum term limit, requiring the appointment of a new Director. We are seeking a qualified candidate to nominate to the Board.
The Airport Authority expects the Board to set the right “tone at the top” through ethical values, transparency, and adherence to high governance principles. The Vancouver Airport Authority Board oversees the conduct of business of the Airport Authority and supervises management, which is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the business. The Board has a clear role in reviewing, validating, and ultimately endorsing strategy. The Board is also charged with having an understanding of the principal risks associated with the Airport Authority’s business.
The Board of Directors annually reviews its Directors Skills and Experience Matrix, which sets out skills that every Director is expected to have, as well as specific skills and experience required to ensure that the Board plays an effective role in the Airport Authority achieving its strategic direction.
Having reviewed the Board’s current composition, the Board is seeking Directors with the following specific skill areas:
- Asset life cycle management of large complex public and industrial facilities; or
- Global supply chain systems that support e-commerce, perishables, and other cargo.
In addition, candidates with experience in the following additional experience would be highly valued:
- Senior executive experience;
- Digital and technology applications in such areas as business intelligence, analytics, technical systems, and digital twins in engineering and related fields;
- Driving sustainability – experience with any or all sustainability pillars – environment and climate, economic and financial, social (e.g., community impacts, employee and public safety), and governance programs in a large complex company or environment;
- Board service on a larger corporation, community or not-for-profit Board or alternatively experience as a CEO reporting to a Board; and
- Financial literacy or global business and marketing experience would also be helpful.
Interested candidates are encouraged to review the Position Specification prepared by VAA/YVR, paying particular attention to the specific criteria they are seeking.
Candidates must be registrants in good standing with Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter addressing how they meet the specific criteria sought by YVR, along with a CV, using the online application form. The cover letter and CV must be in a single PDF document. Applications close at 5:00 PM on Friday, May 14. Engineers and Geoscientists BC reserves the right to extend the application period.
Note: Engineers and Geoscientists BC has engaged the services of the firm Watson Advisors, to support the recruitment for this external board position. Your application will be shared with Watson Advisors who will be in contact with you to further assess your application and determine potential next steps.