Science Games Steering Committee Member (Multiple Positions Available)
June 29, 2020
Science Games Steering Committee Member (Multiple positions available)
The Engineers and Geoscientists BC Science Games Steering Committee is responsible for assisting staff in the planning, development, organization, and delivery of the Science Games. Science Games is an interschool challenge where students work together in teams to complete various science challenges relating to engineering and geoscience.
Committee members report to the Engineers and Geoscientists BC Career Awareness Program Coordinator.
- To design and test fun, engaging competitive or non-competitive activities for the Science Games, including all related materials, instructions, and judging criteria.
- To attend planning meetings to participate in the development of the event theme and design.
- To attend the Science Games as a judge of one competition. If members are unable to attend it is their responsibility to find a replacement judge.
- To assist in promoting and building awareness of Science Games and Steering Committee volunteer opportunities with their network.
Successful candidates will be:
- Registered with the organization as a professional engineer (P.Eng.), professional geoscientist (P.Geo.), engineer-in-training (EIT), geoscientist-in-training (GIT), engineering or geoscience student.
- Passionate about inspiring the next generation of engineers and geoscientists.
- Creative thinkers, who are able to think of engaging hands on activities which illustrate various scientific principles at an elementary school level.
- Registrants experienced in delivering engineering and geoscience career awareness presentations to elementary school aged students.
- One year with a maximum of six re-appointments.
- Minimum commitment of four 1.5-hour meetings each year between August and April with approximately 1 hour of preparation for each meeting. Web or teleconference options will be made available to volunteers for all meetings.
- Committee members are also expected to research potential activity options for the Science Games.
- Minimum commitment of half day as a judge at the event on the first Saturday in March.
- Inspire future generations of engineers and geoscientists.
- Build leadership and mentorship skills.
- Earn credits for Continuing Education and Engineers and Geoscientists BC service awards.
- Meet other industry leaders in your network.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment that values and respects diversity, both within our organization and in our larger community.