Gender Diverse Workplaces
“Encouraging and retaining women in engineering strengthens what we do by providing more expertise, encouraging balance, fostering inclusivity and keeping the profession relevant.”
– Donna Howes, P.Eng.,
Chair, Women in Engineering and Geoscience Task Force
Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia is committed to both the retention of practising female engineering and geoscience professionals and increasing the participation of women in the professions. This will be accomplished by fostering inclusive, diverse workplaces, and making educational resources that promote the benefits of having a diverse workplace easily accessible and readily available.
“Over 55% of students who study science at university are women, yet less than 20% of engineering and geoscience students and only 11% of professional engineers and geoscientists are female—this must change. The future of our profession depends on drawing from the widest pool of diverse and talented young people and providing a welcoming environment that ensures their success.”
– Dr. Elizabeth Croft, P.Eng.,
Professor, UBC and NSERC Chair for Women in Science and Engineering (BC/Yukon)
The Hypatia Association of Nova Scotia, a women’s organization promoting the full participation of women in trades, science, and technology, outlined the three R’s of a successful diverse workplace:
- Readiness: creating respectful work environments that will attract skilled women in trades and technology
- Recruitment: finding and hiring skilled women
- Retention: keeping those skilled women as part of your workforce
By increasing the number of women in engineering and geoscience workplaces, organizations will be in a much better position to deal with current and projected skills shortages.
Diversifying workplaces that are predominantly male can benefit a company in many ways, including:
- Increasing the diversity of perspectives within a company, therefore raising the competitive edge.
- Having a larger pool of skilled, talented workers to choose from.
- Increasing the economic security of your company, and
- Having a larger capacity to reach new untapped markets.
Read through these helpful documents and programs put together by other organizations supporting diverse workplaces.