Regulation of Firms in BC FAQs


Sole Practitioner

The term “sole practitioner” is used to refer to any professional engineer or professional geoscientist that practises on their own. Sole practitioners can either be incorporated or unincorporated.

When sole practitioners are unincorporated, they are considered a “sole proprietor”, meaning there is no legal distinction between the individual and the business entity. When sole practitioners are incorporated, they are considered a “corporation”, meaning their business is a separate legal entity from the individual practitioner.


An entity is an organization formed for business purposes. Entities may be private (e.g., corporations, partnerships) or public (e.g., municipalities, crown corporations, ministries), and include sole practitioners.

Permit to Practice

A Permit to Practice allows an entity to practice engineering and/or geoscience. Entities with a Permit to Practice must designate a professional member as its Responsible Member. Responsible Members are accountable for the practices of engineering and geoscience within the company.

Have a question we haven't answered here? Email [email protected].