The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division is now accepting applications for the 2019 division bursary. The deadline for submission is May 10, 2019. See below for eligibility and submission information. Members and universities are encouraged to download the announcement poster and distribute it to interested students.
The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division offers an annual bursary intended to provide financial assistance to students pursuing an accredited post-secondary or post-graduate program related directly to professional engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector.
The purpose of the Division to help members provide exceptional professional engineering and professional geoscience services in support of sustainable, land-based resource development activities, as distinct from manufacturing and processing activities, while advancing work place safety and protection of the public interest, and the environment. Division members possess engineering and/or geoscience expertise that includes but is not limited to, the mapping and assessment of terrain and related geological hazards, hazard and risk analysis, hydrological analysis, and planning and design for access development and management.
In keeping with our mission statement, the bursary is a means to:
- Promote education, professional development, and high standards of practice of engineering and geoscience related to resource sector activities,
- Promote awareness of specialized knowledge and training required by professional engineers and professional geoscientists working in the resource sector, and
- Promote public awareness of the role of professional engineers and professional geoscientists in the resource sector.
Applicants must be enrolled in at least the third year of an undergraduate program or any year of a post-graduate program directly related to the practice of engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector, and leading to membership in Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
All applicants shall submit the following:
- A cover letter describing the applicant's area of study and career goals. The letter should include a permanent contact address, phone number(s), and email address.
- A proof of enrollment letter and an accompanying list of current courses and/or program of study.
- An essay, no more than 5 pages (not including a section showing the literature cited), including figures and diagrams, on any topic related to engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector.
Note that any submitted papers or essays may be published in the Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division newsletter, at the discretion of the Division Executive. Applicants must provide an electronic copy of the paper, preferably in MS Word, with the submission. Applications must be received by May 10, 2019
, for consideration for the 2019 award. Digital applications should be submitted to the Division’s Bursary Coordinator
Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division Bursary Sub-Committee
c/o Engineers and Geoscientists BC
200–4010 Regent Street
Burnaby, BC, V5C 6N2
The Bursary Sub-committee will evaluate submissions based on the following criteria:
- The relevancy of the applicant's field of study to engineering and/or geoscience/geotechnique in the resource sector.
- The applicant's career goals and those goals' relevance to the Division mission statement.
- The submitted essay, which shall be reviewed for the essay's relevance to the Division mission statement, how the essay addresses one or more of the purposes/objectives of the Division, and the essay's organization, clarity, and references.
The bursary, in the amount of $2,000, will be awarded to the successful student by approximately mid-August 2019. The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division reserves the right not to award the bursary if a suitable candidate is not found. A successful applicant from the immediately preceding year will not be considered.
Prior to award, the selected candidate shall provide confirmation of current registration in an accredited school to the Bursary Sub-Committee.
↰ Back to Division main page