Become a Member

To help support current and prospective applicants with their applications, and to provide information on temporary measures that Engineers and Geoscientists BC has recently implemented in response to COVID-19, please visit the Registration Process Changes: COVID-19 page for guidance.

Engineering and geoscience are regulated professions in Canada. This means that if you are working as an engineer or as a geoscientist in Canada, you must either:

  • Be registered as a professional engineer or professional geoscientist in the province or territory in which you are working, or
  • Work under the direct supervision of someone who is a registered professional engineer or professional geoscientist in the province or territory in which you are working.
These requirements apply to all engineering and geoscience disciplines, including emerging or non-traditional fields such as software engineering

It is the responsibility of each province and territory to register the professionals offering services in their jurisdiction. In BC, this is done by Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia. Provincial and territorial associations are linked through Engineers Canada and Geoscientists Canada. The association strives to set and maintain high academic, experience and professional practice standards. These standards work to protect public health, safety and welfare.

As a member of Engineers and Geoscientists BC, you will represent the highest standards of academic knowledge, work experience, and professionalism in Canada.

Member Resources

As a member of Engineers and Geoscientists BC, you will have access to a variety of information and resources to help further your professional excellence. These include:


As a professional engineer, professional geoscientist, non-resident licensee or limited licensee, you gain a professional certificate and stamp. The stamp allows you to sign and seal documentation that you believe upholds the paramount safety of society and the well-being of the environment.

All members are also given a special professional designation to use after their name, for example: P.Eng., P.Geo., EIT or GIT. These designations are recognized in Canada, the United States and many other international countries.