Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Principal Engineer – Mechanical
Job Number: 50887904
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
This position is for a Principal Engineer in mechanical engineering, reporting to the Engineering Division Manager for Generation Stations Mechanical & Field Maintenance Engineering.
A Principal Engineer:
- Provides a broad and demonstrated high level of professional engineering expertise in an area of specialty and is recognized as a technical expert in the field within BC Hydro, other utilities, the consultant community, and learned societies, both nationally and internationally.
- Masters multi-discipline engineering principles associated with complex systems, working with discipline specialists to mitigate risks, and finding solutions that meet specific technical requirements and business objectives.
- Proactively undertakes problem identification, risk mitigation, and the development of original solutions to highly complex or emerging engineering problems considering value, benefit, and risk to BC Hydro.
- Fosters collaboration and knowledge transfer, coaching and mentoring, and organizational awareness.
- Champions the development of engineering standards, practices and quality processes, and makes sustained, wide-ranging, and indispensable contributions to the present and future success of BC Hydro’s engineering programs.
- Provides independent review of high risk/complex work within discipline of specialty and across multiple disciplines.
- Leads, develops, maintains, and strengthens relations with technical societies and associations, industry interest groups, other utilities, and suppliers of engineering services.
- Actively participates in learned societies in a leadership role and makes significant contributions towards the advancement of knowledge in an area of expertise.
- Builds influential relationships with key management teams across BC Hydro, along with technical specialists and other Principal Engineers.
- May be required to lead project teams engaged in innovative or highly complex engineering or business initiatives. Project leadership role is reviewed in terms of meeting broad objectives, project budgets, and schedules.
- Champions the advancement and application of new and emerging technology based on assessment of risk, business needs, and benefits to Hydro as a whole.
In addition to the above, the Principal Engineer for mechanical engineering:
- Provides technical expertise to highly complex, high profile, and/or high capital cost projects to ensure that engineered solutions provide the appropriate balance of technical excellence, risk mitigation, and economic value while respecting interests of internal and external stakeholders.
- Reviews design plans, design reports, and other key engineering documents and memos for complex projects prepared by other engineers.
- Leads engineering reviews requiring input from other Principal Engineers.
- Contributes to engineering reviews led by other Principal Engineers.
- Makes or reviews recommendations to management on highly complex project matters, particularly when project issues go beyond purely technical matters.
- Identifies and develops innovative designs and methodologies that improve the state of engineering within BC Hydro.
- Leads the development of collaborative technical relationships with suppliers of hydro-electric machinery.
- Contributes to capability assessments, succession planning, and recruitment.
- Mentors and coaches other engineers up to and including the level of specialist engineer and engineering team lead.
- Provides input on the management of contracts for engineering services being performed by consultants and ensuring the work meets BC Hydro’s requirements.
- Contributes to information/technology developments to ensure solutions meet the needs of complex engineering work.
- Leads training sessions related to mechanical engineering and to interfaces with other engineering disciplines.
- Works with engineering practice leads to help ensure engineering practices and any planned changes reflect the best interests of BC Hydro.
- Represents engineering on business initiatives.
- Leads development of new/revised engineering processes/procedures.
- Is knowledgeable about professional practice requirements, including Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- BC Quality Management Guidelines, and advances professional practice within BC Hydro.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to safety including advocacy of safety by design within engineering design.
- Leads by example in demonstrating BC Hydro’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
The successful candidate will have:
- An engineering degree in mechanical engineering and be registered, or be eligible for immediate registration, as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience with at least 5 years spent leading engineering work on complex, multi-discipline projects.
- Expertise across a broad range of mechanical engineering aspects of hydro-electric generating stations.
- In-depth expertise of hydro-electric generating units with a specialty in one or more of hydraulic turbines, generators, or governors.
- Experience in planning, estimating, and executing engineering work for large industrial or infrastructure projects, preferably for a company with projects similar in nature to BC Hydro’s projects in terms of size, complexity, and stakeholders.
- Experience managing owner’s reviews of multi-discipline packages of engineering work being completed by other parties.
- A high level of knowledge of project management processes.
- The ability to identify and mitigate project risks as applicable to a utility owner.
- Strong values related to professional practice including application of Engineers and Geoscientists BC Quality Management Guidelines.
- Strong business acumen and insight, persuasive influence, and communication skills.
- Exceptional relationship management capability, conflict resolution skills, and ability to build solid relationships with internal and external clients.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Successful, creative, and persistent approach to influencing outcomes and meeting objectives at the department, division, and company level.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, team building, and coaching/mentoring skills.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 in Good Standing.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 15, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.