Job Number: BCH-R-0254-190909E1
Job Location: Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities.
Site C will be the third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River and is located approximately 7 km from Fort St. John B.C.
Construction is currently underway with and we are looking for experienced Construction Managers to support our growing team. Opportunities include working on our Main Civil Works and Generating Station Contracts.
We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Working within a high performing team of Construction Managers, the successful candidate will support their team in the general administration (Management) of the Generating Station and Spillway contract;
Specific duties include:
- Observes construction ensuring all activities are planned and carried out in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract, including: safety, environment, quality, scope, schedule, cost.
- Directly supervises and provides leadership to direct reports, including Contract Managers, Construction Officers and Administrators.
- Ensures daily reporting is carried out and supports the preparation of weekly and monthly reports;
- Conducts meetings, negotiates claims and corresponds with the contractor.
- Reviews Issued for Construction Drawings prior to release.
- Verifies contractor completed quantities, associated with progress payment estimate submissions.
- Accepts contractor completed works on behalf of BC Hydro, including conducting walkovers and the development of punch lists.
- Supports internal and external Project stakeholders, to ensure all applicable protocols, procedures, policies, standards and regulations are followed.
- Technical training in the civil, structural field resulting in a university degree in engineering or graduation from a technical institute. Business training will also be considered an asset.
- 12 (twelve) years of heavy civil project experience in large capital project management, including hands-on involvement in major infrastructure projects, ideally in a complex operating environment. Candidates with lesser qualifications may also be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge in construction methods and procedures in a hydroelectric utility environment.
- Prior field project management or construction experience in a hydroelectric utility environment.
- Broad and deep knowledge of BC Hydro’s (or utility) business operations.
- Demonstrated organization, project planning, and people management skills.
- Expert leadership and persuasive influence skills required to lead Site teams and negotiate successfully with contractors.
- Ability to manage a project or series of projects of considerable scope and complexity on time and within budget.
- Knowledge of Contracting principles, health & safety and environmental regulations relevant to hydroelectric utility construction.
- Specific experience with thermal controls as they relate to mass concrete placements for hydraulic structures.
- Specific experience with construction practices related to installation of large scale hydraulic gates.
- Specific experience with placing large volume concrete structures under winter and summer conditions.
- Familiarity with large scale steel penstock fabrication and erection.
- Familiarity with drilling and grouting of passive dowels in concrete and rock.
- Familiarity with various formwork systems and techniques (Doka, Build in Place, Slip forms, etc.)
- Familiarity with large structural steel building erection and architectural finishing.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or equivalent is desirable.
- A Class 5 Driver’s License in good standing.
- Please note this position is based in Fort St. John. This is not a Fly In/Fly Out position.
- This location may be eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid biweekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by 30th September 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.