BC Public Service
Ministry of Energy, Mines & Petroleum Resources
Smithers, Prince George, Kamloops
Mines Health Safety & Enforcement Division Career Opportunities
Consider being part of a skilled team dedicated to ensuring safe and environmentally responsible mineral resource development and collaborative stakeholder relations.
The Mines Health Safety and Enforcement Division (MHSE) manages and facilitates the responsible development of BC’s mineral resources. MSHE’s main focuses are: ensuring safe and environmentally responsible mineral exploration, mine development, and closure; providing timely permitting decisions; fostering a positive and supportive environment for staff; implementing the Premier’s Jobs Plan commitments and contributing to the achievement of the Province’s social, economic, and environmental goals.
The Inspector of Mines-Health and Safety is the ministry professional on mine safety and for ensuring compliance and enforcement of health and safety under the delegated authority of the Mines Act and the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines (HSR) in British Columbia. The position conducts investigations, inspections, audits, enforces actions for health and safety non-compliance, and provides expert advice.
Qualifications for these roles include:
- Relevant degree in mining, minerals or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience as recognized by Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
- Must be registered, or immediately eligible* for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
*Note: Immediately eligible is defined as being registered as a professional in another Canadian jurisdiction and able to transfer that membership to a BC professional association within 6 months of employment. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have their qualifications reviewed by the appropriate body to ensure they have the necessary requirements for registration;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in mining operations, regulations, health, and safety or related field;
- Experience solving complex technical problems, interpreting and analyzing data related to mine safety management; and
- Experience in sub-surface investigations, construction of mines or related works and other aspects of mine safety hazard management.
For more information and to apply online by March 8, 2020, please go to: bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/67656