The Director, Technical and Facilities, is responsible for the management of the facilities, laboratories, technology infrastructure, and technical services across the Faculty of Applied Sciences. The Director provides leadership in the prioritization, development, and implementation of strategies that supports the academic goals and direction of the Faculty. The Director oversees renovations, projects, and maintenance of facility infrastructure and spaces within the Faculty of Applied Sciences, at SFU Surrey and SFU Burnaby, distributed, specialized facility and leased sites. The Director leads the development and operationalization of safety protocols and procedures, and provides technical and facility oversight into program accreditation and reviews. This position manages the space portfolio for Faculty of Applied Sciences.
- Master’s degree of Applied Science in engineering and qualified for professional engineer designation with Engineers and Geoscientists BC or related discipline and 8 years related experience in the management an engineering laboratory, facility, and operation, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent leadership, mentorship, and human resource management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of teaching and research standards, science or engineering laboratory requirements and configurations.
- Excellent knowledge of the principles of planning, design, and construction of institutional laboratory facilities.
- Excellent knowledge of related laboratory health and safety guidelines/regulations (University, Provincial, Federal), risk management assessment, laboratory hazards (e.g., chemicals/mechanical/electrical), and safety equipment/procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of common and specialized engineering and scientific laboratory equipment, instrumentation, operations, technology, and procedures in modern engineering sciences facilities.
- Excellent knowledge of best practices and industrial standards in engineering design protocols, processes, and quality assurance cycles for engineering specific applications, systems, and development platforms.
- Excellent management, financial, and planning skills.
- Excellent organizational ability, analytical reasoning, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral, written, and presentation) skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for a high degree of initiative and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability in customer service and managing large complex projects with multiple stakeholders and partners.
- Ability to develop relationships and partnerships and to work collaboratively at all levels and areas within the organization.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise professional and mature judgment and to handle confidential/sensitive material with discretion.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with others, and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to arrange suitable transportation to various work locations.
Please note: Salary and grade are under review.
This position will be required to work at both Surrey and Burnaby campus. Must be able to work evenings and some weekends.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.
Please visit SFU HR at tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIMOFRAS&cws=37&rid=2355 to apply.