Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer – Stations Electrical Design
Job Number: BCH-R-7119-190109E1
Job Location: Burnaby (Edmonds), British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The Stations Electrical Design Department is part of Generation and Transmission Engineering providing engineering design and technical services to BC Hydro Substations. The projects are of varying complexity including equipment replacement, upgrades, and new additions to stations; new stations, and review of external engineering providers.
- As an experienced professional engineer, engages in the engineering of electrical utility electrical systems and develops specialized expertise in design engineering.
- Analyze and resolve challenging and unusual engineering problems with considerable independence.
- Manage medium and large-sized projects and work packages, writing specifications and standards, estimating capital costs, leading and mentoring technical staff, and providing technical and site support during the installation and commissioning of electrical equipment.
- Provide work leadership to a team in a project engineer role including reporting out on work completion of the team.
- Provide technical direction to engineers, consultants, and technical support staff, coordinate projects of some complexity and plan and manage resources, and develop innovative methods of design for engineering problems.
- Review work of the project team and of consultants and contractors to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to accepted engineering practice.
- Impart engineering knowledge and encourage the professional development of engineers.
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationship with internal and external colleagues in order to determine relative priorities, assess the impact of work on others, and resolve issues of concern.
- The senior engineers are expected to provide technical leadership in the electrical design fields and to provide mentorship to junior engineers and EITs.
- The successful candidate will have a degree in electrical engineering (preferably power engineering) recognized by Canadian universities.
- In addition, the successful candidate shall have a minimum of 8 years of working experience in relevant engineering fields and be registered as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- The successful candidate shall demonstrate:
- In depth technical knowledge in electrical utility power system designs at voltage up to 500kV.
- In depth technical knowledge in major electrical equipment such as generators, transformers, exciters, and circuit breakers.
- In depth technical knowledge in station service power supply system design.
- Technical knowledge in the electrical, mechanical, civil, P&C, and operating requirements of components used to build such systems.
- A broad knowledge in power system planning, system operation, protection and control engineering, and project management.
- Ability to investigate, analyze, and solve a variety of engineering problems, many of which are of a challenging and unusual nature.
- Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers, to manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost.
- Ability to manage client relationships to ensure their needs are met and to work closely with stakeholders to drive innovation, find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus.
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications, and presentation skills.
- Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and lead multiple projects and to plan and manage project resources is desirable.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in work leadership and providing technical direction to junior, intermediate, and other senior engineers and technical support is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, technical writing, and organizational skills and ability to work in a team environment are essential.
- Experience with substations, BC Hydro standards, and other electrical standards: both national (CSA, ULC) and international (IEEE, IEC, etc.) is an asset.
- Skills in AutoCAD and Autodesk products such as, inventor and Vault would be beneficial.
- Occasional travel for station site visits is required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Applicants who do not meet full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for an intermediate engineer position.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 3, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.