Job Number: BCH-R-8804-190208E1
Job Location: Ruskin Generating Station, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
For each of the assigned sites and associated dams in the Bridge, Coastal, Lower Mainland Area, the Specialist Dam Safety Engineer provides the following;
- Specialist engineering evaluation for the assigned dams in their region
- Develop, submit and oversee the surveillance plan for assigned facilities
- Responsible for QA of the surveillance program in their assigned region including review of monitoring data, Compliance Reports, Semi-Annual Reports, Operations Maintenance and Surveillance Manuals, Facility Asset Plans, Emergency Action Plans and Interim Dam Safety Risk Management Plans
- Define expected behaviour and sets performance thresholds and reviews unusual trends and readings
- Responsible for the preparation of an annual Performance Assessment Report
- Part of the initiator’s team on Capital and Investigation Projects. Ensures Dam Safety objectives are not being compromised. Works with Project staff to identify any construction risks which could pose a threat to the safety of the dam
- Assist in the prioritization of Civil Maintenance projects
- Technical support and guidance to the Dam Safety Engineers and Dam Safety Technologists in the region
- Technical support to Dam safety surveillance manager on assignments/projects as required
- Assist in the Regional EOC as required.
- Bachelor Degree in Geotechnical, Geological, Structural, Hydrotechnical or Civil Engineering. A Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field is an asset
- A minimum of 15 years work experience in the relevant engineering field
- A minimum of 10 years experience in Dam Safety or Dam design
- Eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and GeoscientistsBritish Columbia
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to manage several projects/tasks concurrently
- Strong technical and report writing skills
- Strong computer skills.
- The job headquarters is at the Mission Interior Office, located in Mission, BC.
- The Specialist Dam Safety Engineer will be working as a team with two Dam Safety Engineers and two Dam Safety Technologists located at the Mission Interior Office and Edmonds.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver’s License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Frequent travel for brief periods will be required.
- The Specialist Dam Safety Engineer must be able to hike over steep terrain as this position requires site work at the dams and reservoir slopes.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 22nd, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.