McMillen Jacobs Associates' Vancouver office has an immediate need for a Structural Engineer with 20+ years of relevant experience in structural engineering, preferably the design of heavy civil structures for underground projects, and/or dams and hydropower structures. The successful candidate will have an interest in project management, client-relations, and business development, as well as familiarity with common methods for structural analysis and design of structures using relevant codes and standards. Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers and Geoscientists BC. The successful candidate will be based in the Vancouver office and will serve on projects within Canada and the United States. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in working as part of a close-knit team of professionals on high profile infrastructure projects.
To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Leading and managing structural engineering tasks in accordance with established scope, schedule, budget and procedures to ensure successful project completion.
- Participate in business development and proposal preparation.
- Provide technical guidance and engineering support for construction activities.
- Provide technical guidance to junior staff members.
- Prepare conceptual and detailed designs, design criteria reports, design reports, drawings, and quality assurance reviews, review of vendor submissions, and perform site inspections.
- Prepare specifications for a variety of structural engineering tasks involving construction and/or rehabilitation of concrete and steel structures for underground and hydroelectric projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized and accredited university.
- Master's Degree in Structural Engineering preferred.
- Attitude that is focused on responsiveness and superior client service.
- Experience with creating and maintaining technical reports.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with client and owner staff on projects
- Ability to develop and review design drawings, specifications, and technical memoranda
- Ability to work on multiple projects with a variety of staff.
- Project management experience and demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and strong analytical skills.
- Willing to travel for short term assignments.
- Solid knowledge base in seismic analysis including performance based seismic design.
- Structural design experience for ground support, tunnel linings, penstocks, cut and cover structures, retaining walls, water retention structures, and shafts.
- Construction experience
- Working knowledge and experience of structural analysis software.
- Solid knowledge of relevant design codes and standards.
- Knowledge of Revit or BIM will be considered an asset.
McMillen Jacobs Associates is a full-service engineering, environmental, and construction firm in the transportation, heavy civil underground, water resources, hydropower, and fisheries, markets. We are able to contribute to a project at the planning stage, navigate the regulatory requirements, develop a design, manage and self-perform construction, start-up, and commissioning.
Currently serving clients with over 430 staff members from 21 offices located in four countries, our superior technical skills include: geotechnical, civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering; tunnel and underground project engineering; hydraulics and hydrology. We also have leading professionals in design and construction-related services for underground tunnels and stations, large-diameter wastewater and water tunnels and pipelines, heavy rail, light rail; fisheries; hydropower; Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licensing and regulatory assistance; dam safety; spillway, intake, and water conveyance design and rehabilitation; as well as claims and dispute resolution.
McMillen Jacobs Associates is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
For additional company information and to apply online, please visit our website at www.mcmjac.com
No Recruiters, Please.