Closing Date: September 27, 2020
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Supervisor, Geotechnical, the Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for supporting the geotechnical needs for the design through to execution of the mine plan, including pit and spoil expansions and design compliance.
This opportunity will be located in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventures at your fingertips. Whether you enjoy biking and skiing or prefer the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about!
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures;
- Maintain and demonstrate Teck’s commitment to environmental protection as a core value;
- Coordinate site geotechnical field programs and provide support for geotechnical analyses and designs of the Life of Mine plan;
- Assist in design and implementation of programs to mitigate hazards, close gaps, and improve mine designs;
- Assist in the review of engineering design work to ensure it is fit for purpose and meets specifications, standards, and codes;
- Partake in the internal pit and spoil design approval process, ensuring geotechnical recommendations are followed throughout the life of a design;
- Coordinate and review work by external geotechnical consultants;
- Perform regular geotechnical inspections of the active and dormant mining areas; report on the inspections, and provide recommendations as required;
- Identify and assist others in identifying and eliminating geotechnical hazards;
- Perform stability analyses for rock slopes, waste dumps, and soil stockpiles;
- Play an active role in Teck’s geotechnical community of practice through ongoing collaboration with geotechnical personnel at other Teck operations and corporate engineering group;
- Assist with development of Appropriation Requests, and tender packages including scopes of work, service agreements, and purchase orders;
- Contribute to project design and develop schedule, budget, and risk register;
- Participate in environmental, health, safety, community plans, and incident investigations; and
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in geological, geotechnical, or civil engineering;
- Registered, or eligible to register, with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia as a P.Eng. or EIT;
- 4–8 years of relevant geotechnical experience, including a recent geotechnical role at a large open pit mining operation;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite®, Rocscience software packages (Slide, Dips, SWEDGE, RocFall, and preferably Phase2/RS2), GIS and Minesight software systems;
- Experience in geotechnical data analysis, site investigations, project evaluation, and management;
- Ability to interpret design and construction drawings;
- Good analytical, problem-solving skills, and is confident making recommendations;
- Experience working on projects, overseeing, coordinating, and communicating with multiple internal resources and external contractors;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a technical team-based environment; and
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.?Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.