Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Construction Manager 3, Site C (Main Civil Works)
Job Number: BCH-R-1725-190312E1
Job Location: Fort St. John Site C Construction Office, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
Site C will be the third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River and is located approximately 7 km from Fort St. John, BC.
Construction is currently underway with and we are looking for experienced Construction Managers to support our growing team. Opportunities include working on our Main Civil Works and Generating Station Contracts.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities.
We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
This is a senior Construction Manager role, leading a team of high performing Construction and Contract Managers, the successful candidate will support their team in the management of the Main Civil Works Contract; Specific duties include:
- Reports to the Director, Site C Construction Management and is responsible for management of the assigned site.
- Directs, manages, administers, coordinates, and inspects construction of the project so as to ensure its orderly, timely, and economic construction in accordance with the intent of the contract, including the drawings and specifications.
- Acts with the authority delegated to him/her in administering (managing) delegated construction and supply contracts.
- Keeps informed of the work of the various labour organizations concerned with the provision of a stable labour force to contractors and as required participates in matters which may affect the cost or time of construction of the project or which may result in claim action by contractors or suppliers.
- Is authorized to issue to the contractor(s) “Approved for Construction Drawings”.
- Is authorized to review the contractor(s) progress payment estimates and the Final Statement submitted by the contractor(s) and recommend to BC Hydro payment of such estimates.
- Issue instructions to the contractor(s), provided that such instructions conform to the terms, conditions, and provisions of the contract.
- Conducts meetings, negotiates and corresponds with the contractor(s).
- Direct the contractor(s) to perform changed work, subject to internal delegations, or in the except in the case of emergencies to an unrestricted level.
- Receive and reply to representations from the contractor(s) and authorize payment for changed work and any payment adjustment by reason of any other change or dispensation to the extent provided by the contracts, or up to a specified internal financial limit. For certainty where that financial limit is exceeded the Construction Manager prepares and forwards for authorization the analysis required and a recommendation.
- Coordinate the functions and activities of all organizations, contractors, and others employed by BC Hydro at the Site, with the authority to make final decisions regarding conflict of interest in the operations of the various organizations, contractors and others employed by BC Hydro at the Site.
- Supervises the provision of field offices, accommodation, and transportation for BC Hydro staff on the project and controls the BC Hydro material, equipment, and supplies.
- Obtains compliance with the approved Detailed Construction Program(s).
- Supervises the public relations, civic, and other matters affecting BC Hydro’s interests on the project at Site.
- Technical training in the civil field resulting in a university degree in engineering or graduation from a technical institute. Business training will also be considered an asset.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years progressive experience in large capital project management, including hands-on involvement in major infrastructure projects, ideally in a complex operating environment. Candidates must have experience in heavy civil and earthworks. Candidates with lesser qualifications may also be considered.
- Displays exceptional leadership, management, coaching, and mentoring skills.
- Expert leadership and persuasive influence skills required to lead Site teams and negotiate successfully with contractors.
- Demonstrated organization, project planning, and people management skills including managing a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to relate to, collaborate with, and discuss issues with a range of professionals from trades people to senior management.
- Demonstrated knowledge in construction methods and procedures in a utility environment.
- Broad and deep knowledge of BC Hydro’s (or utility) business operations, including BC Hydro safety practice regulations and Power System Safety Protection (PSSP), or equivalent electrical utility safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to manage construction contracts/or series of projects of considerable scope and complexity on time and within budget.
- Knowledge of Contracting principles, claims management, health and safety, and environmental regulations relevant to utility construction skills are required.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or equivalent is desirable.
- A Class 5 Driver’s Licence in good standing.
- Please note this position is based in Fort St. John. This is not a Fly In/Fly Out position.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5
- This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
- Note this may include multiple positions.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Note: Candidates who have already applied do not need to re-apply.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by April 3, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.