Two (2) Positions (1-Vancouver/1-Calgary)
The intermediate/senior building envelope consultant is responsible for project management and engineering challenges of medium to advanced complexity. This requires applying a variety of established building science principles/standards and working with senior staff when presented with challenges of advanced complexity. Properties/buildings range from small to large, wood frame to concrete, and new to existing buildings.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering/applied science or master’s in architecture.
- Professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC or Registered Architect registered with AIBC.
- 5–10 years of work experience in building science and building envelope consulting.
- Prepare and review written reports, which may include legal reports, warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, building envelope condition assessments, leak investigations, etc.
- Apply engineering design and risk assessment to develop design solutions.
- Assume professional responsibility for projects consisting of drawings, specifications, and other technical documents or that have been prepared and delivered by others under your direct supervision.
- Perform and coordinate field reviews, investigations, contract administration, and quality assurance during all stages of consulting and construction projects.
- Be familiar with various city and municipality building codes and standards.
- Litigation research and report writing.
- Deliver projects on schedule and on budget—reviewing monthly project billing to analyse billed services and ensure accounts are up to date.
- Maintain full knowledge of project budgets on an ongoing basis, and pro-actively manage all project staff to ensure profitability and quality consistent with company expectations.
- Attend site/client meetings periodically to ensure senior involvement, improve project communication and build client relationships.
- Supervise and delegate to junior staff, providing guidance and direction, evaluating performance, and giving feedback to promote constant improvement and high-quality services.
- Proactively seek opportunities to establish relationships with new clients and maintain/improve relationships with existing.
- Demonstrate initiative by monitoring the demands of the market and working with management to develop a portfolio of services to meet demand and promote company growth.
- Attend project management meetings to discuss and implement strategic marketing opportunities.
- Involvement in professional development such as industry committees, conferences, seminars, publications, and presentations.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with humility and a high attention to detail.
- Superb organizational, time management, and coordination skills.
- Outstanding communication, verbal and written, including ability to translate vague/complex requests into concrete actions.
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads.
JRS Engineering is a premier full-service consulting firm specializing in building science and building envelope consulting. With over 55 people in 3 offices, we consist of engineers, architects, technologists, roof inspectors, reserve planners, energy/thermal modellers, and master’s graduates in building science. Because of our robust and structured EIT training and mentorship program, we are an Accredited Employer within Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Member-In-Training Program—the only company in the building envelope consulting industry. Our professional development support network, cooperative culture and employee owned share structure, helps deliver the best in class service and quality results our clients have come to expect.
For a more detailed job description, please visit our careers page at www.jrsengineering.com. To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to [email protected]. Applications for Burnaby must have BEC-VR in the subject line, applications for Calgary must have BEC-CG. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls and no recruiters please.