Job Title: Specialist Engineer - Mechanical Design - Site-C (Vancouver)
Job Number: BCH-R-8867-180302E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row. It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Site C will be a third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River in northeast BC and offers the opportunity to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in Canada. It is part of BC Hydro's overall program to invest in and renew the province's electricity system. Construction on the project began in summer 2015. When completed, Site C will provide British Columbians with clean, renewable, and cost-effective electricity for more than 100 years. To learn more about the project, please visit www.sitecproject.com.
The successful candidate will:
- Progress the design of the Site C Generating Station and Spillway Balance of Plant systems, including: providing input into equipment design and layout in the three-dimensional model, preparing design basis memorandum, performing calculations, preparing drawings, preparing equipment specifications, reviewing vendor designs, and reviewing installation and commissioning instructions.
- Have specialist technical expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Industrial heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems,
- Fire detection and fire protection systems,
- Compressed air systems,
- Power and process piping systems,
- Domestic water treatment and waste water treatment systems, and
- Seismic design of equipment supports and restraints.
- Work within a project team that includes consulting engineers, equipment vendors, CAD modelers, project managers, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines including geotechnical, civil structural, electrical, and protection and control as required.
- Conduct design reviews of work completed by others to ensure BC Hydro design standards and specifications are met.
- Provide guidance to junior mechanical engineers and field staff at site.
- Report on work regularly to ensure project scope and budget is being adhered to.
- Periodically travel to vendor facilities and the site to provide technical support during factory testing, site installation, and site commissioning of mechanical systems.
- Present technical learnings to other engineers in a group environment.
- Use standard industry analysis software or hand calculations to perform duties effectively.
- Work with the team lead and department manager to define design scope and resolve design issues in a manner that is consistent with the design objective, and
- Understand and adhere to BC Hydro standards, processes, and guidelines.
- Mechanical engineering degree recognized by Canadian universities.
- Minimum of 12 years of working experience in mechanical design and engineering in hydroelectric generating stations.
- Registration or eligibility to register as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in English language.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Familiarity with CAD systems and mechanical drawing standards.
- Familiarity with applicable industry codes and standards such as CSA, ASME, ASHRAE, BC Building Code, BC Fire Code, NFPA standards, etc.
- Hands-on experience with mechanical systems including testing, installation, commissioning, troubleshooting, maintenance, and service, and
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence and ability to travel to various BC Hydro sites to perform engineering duties.
- This position is located in Vancouver, BC.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 in good standing.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 25, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.