Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Construction Manager 2 - Site C - GSS
Job Number: BCH-R-0254-200508E1
Job Location: Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Working within a high performing team of Construction Managers, the successful candidate will lead their team in the management of the Generating Station and Spillway contract for a specific work front.
Specific duties include:
- Manages the contract as it applies to a specific work front ensuring that all activities are planned and performed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract including quality, scope, schedule, cost.
- Provides safety leadership to ensure employee and contractor staff safety. Provides environmental leadership to ensure that work is performed in accordance with the environmental requirements identified in the contract.
- Directly supervises and provides leadership to direct reports, including Contract Managers, Construction Officers and Administrators.
- Ensures daily reporting is performed and supports the preparation of weekly and monthly reports.
- Leads constructability reviews with the contractor to plan the work.
- Leads the team, and seeks agreement on contract changes and associated impacts if any.
- Verifies contractor completed quantities, associated with progress payment estimate submissions.
- Accepts contractor completed works on behalf of BC Hydro, including conducting walkovers and the development of punch lists.
- Supports internal and external Project stakeholders, to ensure all applicable protocols, procedures, policies, standards, and regulations are followed.
- Technical training in the civil, structural field resulting in a university degree in engineering or similar field.
- Eligibility for membership with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia will be considered an asst.
- Contract management training and experience will be considered an asset.
- 12 (twelve) years of civil project experience in large capital project management, including hands-on involvement in major infrastructure projects. Experience with industrial projects will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge in construction methods and procedures in project environment.
- Demonstrated organization, project planning, and people management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and persuasive influence skills required to lead teams and to seek resolution with contractors of contract changes and associated cost and/or schedule impacts if any.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting contracts, and providing written opinions regarding contract issues.
- Ability to manage a project or series of projects of considerable scope and complexity on time and within budget.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or equivalent is desirable.
- A Class 5 Driver’s Licence in good standing.
This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations. Driver's Licence Type = Class 5. Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
- Note that this position is based in Fort St-John, and there are no Fly In/Fly Out benefits.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 24, 2020.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker must be disabled for the BC Hydro site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.