Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineering Team Lead, Telecommunications Design Department
Job Number: BCH-R-9929-190110E1
Job Location: Burnaby (Edmonds), British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Manages the operational performance of the department; allocate, direct, and supervise a group of 20–26 engineers, technologists and external consultants in the safe delivery of projects of varying complexities.
- Ensure that qualified internal and external resources are available and have the required expertise and tools to meet work plans.
- Develop resourcing strategy and recruit, select, and promote staff, and/or procure consulting services.
- Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain and improved required technical expertise. Develops employees’ soft skills such as persuasive influence and conflict resolution.
- Provide technical leadership and act as a technical resource responsible for providing professional/technical review comments and design advice within and outside the department.
- Investigate and analyze challenging or unusual problems of an engineering and project nature, develop alternatives, evaluate risks, and apply innovative solutions.
- Establish review procedures, technical and quality assurance standards and/or ensure compliance with PPM practices, engineering safety by design practices, engineering standards program, and Owner’s Engineer responsibilities.
- Review, enhance and develop methods, procedures, and technical standards to take advantage of new technology. Improve department effectiveness and efficiency.
- Act as a Professional of Record (POR).
- Eligibility for registration as a professional engineer or licensee with the Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
- An electrical engineering degree (preferably in telecommunications) recognized by Canadian universities.
- A minimum 10 years of progressive engineering experience in utility telecommunications.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and coach/mentor a group consisting 10 or more people.
- Demonstrated understanding of the design engineering process (including drafting, signing and sealing, issuing drawings for construction, retaining design documents, etc.) and contract management process.
- Strong in strategic thinking, leadership, and business planning skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships within and outside of the division and with consultants, vendors, and contractors.
- Successful, creative, and persistent approach to influencing outcomes and meeting objectives.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- A condition of employment for this job is to maintain a Driver's Licence: Class 5 in good standing.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by January 31, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.