Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer - Line Asset Planning
Job Number: BCH-R-4363-201006E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- As an experienced professional engineer, engages in the engineering of electrical utility systems and develops specialized expertise in at least one electrical utility engineering discipline such as: system planning, operational planning, maintenance engineering, design engineering, distribution engineering or project engineering.
- Investigates, analyzes, and solves a variety of engineering problems, many of which are of a more challenging and unusual nature.
- Develops innovative engineering techniques, devises new approaches, and applies existing criteria in novel ways.
- Manages projects of some complexity including planning and managing resources and coordinating work to ensure that commitments are met.
- Represents the engineering function in the public consultation process. May chair meetings to address engineering problems.
- Assigns work and gives instructions, advice, and technical guidance to other engineers and technical support staff.
- Reviews work of the team and of consultants and contractors to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to accepted engineering practice.
- Imparts engineering knowledge and encourages the professional development of engineers.
- Develops and maintains effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues in order to determine relative priorities, assess the impact of work on others and resolve issues of concern.
- Works under general direction, with work assigned in terms of broadly defined objectives and budget limitations. Advice of manager is sought in critical areas which impact the work of others. Completed work is accepted as accurate, with overall plans and recommendations reviewed for feasibility, soundness of judgment, and achievement of objectives.
- Electrical engineering degree in a relevant discipline. Ongoing development such as self-study, attendance at technical and administrative courses and participation in technical and professional societies.
- Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of British Columbia.
- 8+ years’ experience in a relevant engineering field.
- Excellent knowledge in power systems analysis, modelling techniques, and good understanding of transmission reliability criteria in planning and operation horizons will be an asset.
- Proficiency in power system simulation software is also an asset.
- Applicants who do not meet the full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position. Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by October 27, 2020.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.