Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Chief Estimator
Job Number: BCH-R-9547-190313E1
Job Location: Burnaby (Edmonds), British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
This position is for the Chief Estimator, reporting to the Engineering Division Manager for Estimating, Project Engineering and Quality Management.
The Chief Estimator:
- Provides a broad and in-depth level of expertise in the field of estimating and is recognized as an expert in the field within BC Hydro, the estimating community and learned societies, both nationally and internationally.
- Proactively undertakes problem identification, risk mitigation, and the development of solutions to highly complex or emerging estimating challenges, considering value, benefit, and risk to BC Hydro.
- Reviews or oversees the preparation/review of cost estimates and schedules for high risk, high cost, and complexity projects and initiatives, including the review of estimates prepared by external engineering service providers.
- Contributes to regulatory applications.
- Monitors construction cost trends.
- Makes recommendations to management, including at the executive level and the President of BC Hydro on highly complex project cost matters.
- Reviews and contributes to the resolution of contractor claims.
- Analyzes project cost data and presents it to various levels of management, including the Board of Directors.
- Contributes to capability assessments, succession planning, and recruitment within the estimating teams.
- Fosters collaboration and knowledge transfer, coaching and mentoring, and organizational awareness.
- Champions the development of estimating standards, practices, and quality processes, and makes sustained, wide-ranging, and indispensable contributions to the present and future success of BC Hydro’s capital program delivery.
- Leads, develops, maintains, and strengthens relations with technical societies and associations, industry interest groups, other utilities, and suppliers of engineering and estimating services.
- Actively participates in learned societies in a leadership role and makes significant contribution towards the advancement of knowledge in the field of estimating.
- Builds influential relationships with key management teams across BC Hydro.
- May occasionally be required to lead teams engaged in innovative or highly complex business initiatives. Leadership is reviewed in terms of meeting broad objectives, budgets, and schedules.
- Champions the advancement and application of new and emerging technology based on assessment of risk, business needs, and benefits to Hydro as a whole.
- May be required to manage contracts for engineering services being performed by consultants, ensuring the work meets BC Hydro’s requirements.
The successful candidate will have:
- Education in a relevant field of study such as engineering or quantity surveying.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in the field of estimating, including direct experience on construction projects.
- Expert level of knowledge of construction methodology, cost estimating techniques, and cost estimating software.
- Experience in estimating costs and developing schedules for large industrial or infrastructure projects. Experience with completing owner's estimates including engineering costs and owner’s costs is preferred.
- Strong business acumen and insight.
- Strong persuasive influence.
- Superior communication skills, including written, oral, and presentation skills.
- The ability to effectively interact with and present to Board members.
- The skills necessary to participate in regulatory reviews and hearings.
- A strong understanding of AACE practices.
- A high level of knowledge of project management processes.
- The ability to identify and quantify project cost risks as applicable to a utility owner.
- Proficiency with MS Office including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A demonstrated record of using initiative and judgment to develop innovative estimating and planning techniques and applying practical knowledge in the analysis and resolution of problems.
- Eligibility for registration as a professional engineer in the province of British Columbia would be an asset.
In addition, the successful candidate should:
- Be recognized in the utility/heavy construction industry, the consultant community, and learned societies, locally, nationally, and internationally, as a technical expert in their field.
- Be recognized as someone whose professional practices and technical opinions are generally accepted within the company and the industry.
- Occasional travel throughout the province and occasionally outside the province/Canada will be required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by April 5, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.