Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineer 2 - P&C Design
Job Number: BCH-T-2026-181129E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The P&C Engineering Design Teams provide engineering expertise and support to high voltage transmission, substations and distribution facilities. Engineering also provides project management, design, contract and construction management as well as maintenance and emergency response services to the company and select external clients. We currently have an opening for an intermediate electrical engineer with protection and control design experience.
The successful candidate will be part of a Protection and Control (P&C) design team delivering capital projects for clients.
- Duties will be primary focused in substation protection, control design and substation automation design.
- Providing design, development, and testing of substation protection, metering, annunciation, fault/event recording, remote access, local area network (LAN), local/supervisory control, and data acquisition systems; providing conceptual and detailed P&C designs for all classes of substations; providing instructions, advice, and technical leadership, including reviewing work and ensuring compliance with standards and procedures; interacting with external service providers and reviewing designs for compliance with BC Hydro standards and practices; building strong constructive relationships with internal and external clients and across the organization; supporting the P&C standards and practices program by identifying and documenting guides, practices and standards.
- Degree in electrical engineering from an institute accredited by Engineers and Geoscientist BC.
- A minimum of 4 years related work experience and shall be registered or eligible for immediate registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- In addition, the successful candidate shall have a minimum of 4 years related work experience in substation protection and substation control system design.
- Experience and knowledge of substation protection system design and desire to work with utility based Ethernet control networks, PLC programming, Human Machine Interface software applications, design and development methodologies, and LAN/WAN technologies focused on utility solutions is required.
- Knowledge of DNP3 protocol and networking solution is an asset.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills; strong leadership, technical writing, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Team player with excellent client relations.
- Travel throughout the province is required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- This is a temporary opportunity for approximately one (1) year.
- Applicants who do not meet full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by December 14, 2018.
Please visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.