Are you seeking an opportunity to advance your career in the environmental consulting industry? McElhanney Ltd. is seeking an Environmental Engineer to join our Prince Rupert, BC office. The successful candidate will be an important member of our local environmental team and will have a focus on regional commercial and industrial environment site assessment and remediation projects. You will work closely with professionals in Prince Rupert, Terrace, Kitimat, and Smithers in supporting our Clients’ with their contaminated sites and environmental management projects. The type and size of project will vary from stand-alone environmental projects to integrated design engineering projects.
Our Prince Rupert office is home to 12 engineers and technicians, environmental professionals, surveyors, and administration staff. Our local team works closely with our other regional offices, enabling us to deliver a higher level of service to our clients and partners, giving us the ability to work on industry leading projects.
- Completion of all stages of environmental site assessments (Phase I/II/III ESAs) including proposal preparation, field planning and execution, data collection and interpretation, report preparation, and remediation recommendations;
- Participation in the planning and execution of other environmental projects and field programs (i.e., environmental monitoring, erosion and sediment control, surface and groundwater monitoring, sediment and soil sampling, etc.);
- Leading environmental site assessment projects as the project manager;
- Preparing and adhering to site-specific health and safety plans;
- Coordinating subcontracting specialties as required and supervising subcontractors for ground disturbance and utility location, borehole drilling, well installation, and test pit excavation;
- Assisting with preparing and coordinating permit application, licenses, and approvals;
- Providing environmental advice and solutions internally and externally to guide design and assist with planning;
- Providing support to other departments (survey, geotechnical engineering, materials testing, and civil engineering) to learn about and develop a holistic approach to project execution; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 4–7 years of relevant work experience.
- Relevant university degree in environmental engineering or other applicable post-secondary education.
- Registration in good standing as a professional engineer or geologist, or applicable professional designation in British Columbia, or eligibility to be registered.
- Demonstrated experience with proposal preparation, environmental site assessments, permitting, and reporting.
- Construction related experience is an asset.
- Strong project management abilities. Previous education and experience leading and managing projects is considered an asset.
- Experience with computer modelling programs (e.g., AutoCAD, Civil 3D, gINT, etc.) and GIS applications (e.g., ArcGIS, Survey123, etc.) is considered an asset.
- Proven report writing experience and strong communication abilities.
- High productivity, attention to detail, and an ability to work well independently and in a team environment are essential.
- Sound business acumen, client liaison skills, and a keen entrepreneurial spirit, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability and interest to travel and work on remote projects, and willingness to work overtime and on weekends, as necessary.
- Possession of a valid BC driver’s licence is required at the time of hire.
See our response to COVID 19: www.mcelhanney.com/2020/04/28/update-from-ceo/
Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As an employee-owned and operated firm with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high level of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.