Senior Project Engineer/Manager of Projects
How often does an opportunity come along to work on processes that provide the mining industry with advanced solutions, and to develop and manage projects in an environmentally responsible manner? Contribute to environmental protection, by helping mining companies meet stringent water quality regulations cost effectively, recover value from waste, and minimize waste residues. We also operate water treatment plants and provide ongoing technical support which enables us to continuously improve our designs and technologies.
BQE Water is a service provider specializing in mine water treatment and management solutions that support and improve the performance of mining and smelting operations. We have been in commercial production since 2001 and have designed and constructed 22 water treatment plants at locations around the world. On average BQE Water treats 20 million m3 of wastewater and recovers 1,800 tonnes of metals of value annually. Visit www.bqewater.com to learn more about what we do.
Be part of the team that develops new technologies and designs and builds water treatment plants. Reporting to the VP Projects, the Manager of Projects will:
- Manage the entire project lifecycle from concept to completion – supporting sales proposals, engineering, procurement, delivery, and commissioning of treatment systems at customer sites,
- Establish a clear understanding of BQE Water’s process technologies,
- Project planning: defining project scope, estimating and scheduling resource requirements, developing project schedules, milestones, budgets, and procurement and execution plans for projects ranging from $500 K to $40 M installed cost,
- Project proposals and sales support: write proposals, meet with customers to present and align on project objectives and scope, assist sales group in reviewing and tracking opportunities,
- Project execution: preparing RFQs and bid comparisons, carrying out procurement and expediting, managing staff resources and third-party contractors, and overseeing delivery and installation of treatment systems,
- Project monitoring and control: quality checks, cost control and documentation management, and ensuring adherence to systems and standards,
- Conduct post-project evaluations to capture and communicate lessons learned, and continuously improve systems, processes, and tools,
- Maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders including engineering staff, other BQE Water departments, customers, suppliers, and third-party contractors,
- Write, review, and edit technical documentation,
- Mentor engineering and projects group staff, and
- Be based in Vancouver with occasional travel to project sites around the world – about a week every 1–2 months, but occasional trips up to 2–3 weeks may be required.
- Degree in engineering, disciplines of preference being chemical, materials, mechanical, hydrometallurgy, or mineral processing,
- 5+ years design and project experience in one or more of the following fields: chemical processing, wastewater treatment, mineral/hydrometallurgical processing, oil and gas, or pulp and paper,
- Can-do attitude – you always find a way to make things work,
- Self-motivated and have a sense of urgency – you get things done,
- Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative member of a team,
- Effective problem-solving and time management skills, wearing multiple hats as needed,
- Excellent communication skills,
- Attention to detail and ownership; take responsibility for everyone “getting it right”,
- Project engineering/project management experience in a process engineering team environment,
- Safety conscious, proactively identify risks, participate in safety audits and inspections, observe and execute safety practices and rules in the workplace,
- Broad knowledge of plant design built from your field experience; encompassing conceptual design through to plant commissioning, start-up, and operations,
- Extensive experience in project planning, organization, implementation, and successful coordination of projects,
- Experience writing RFQs, proposals, project execution plans, scope documents, etc.,
- Familiar with construction processes, commissioning, and plant operation requirements,
- Registration or ability to register with Engineers and Geoscientists BC,
- Travel within North America and internationally, as needed,
- Process engineering experience is an asset, but not required, and
- Additional language fluency is an asset, but not required, with preference given to Spanish, Mandarin and French.
Please send us your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Manager of Projects” in the subject line. We’ll contact you if it looks like this is the right opportunity for you.