Westrek Geotechnical Services Ltd. is seeking a motivated and ambitious Junior Geotechnical/Geological Engineer to help round out our team. The position will be based from our head office in beautiful Kamloops, BC. Assignments may involve fieldwork throughout the BC Interior.
We are looking for an individual with a background in one or more of the following fields to fulfill a technical support role for senior and intermediate engineers:
- Geotechnical engineering,
- Geological engineering,
- Soil mechanics,
- Engineering geology, and
- Rock mechanics.
- Geotechnical investigations involving drilling, sampling, instrument monitoring, and mapping.
- Geohazard investigations, including desktop review, air photo interpretation, and field assessments.
- Analysis and design of soil, soil structures, and stabilization measures.
- Drawing and report preparation.
- Construction monitoring, including foundation inspections, quality control, and testing of material placement, and conformance with design recommendations.
The candidate must be willing and able to travel out of town for work for short periods of time (typically 1–2 weeks). A company vehicle will be provided.
- Completion of a post-secondary program in geotechnical engineering, geological engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience with technical software such as GIS, RocScience, CADD, GeoStudio, or similar programs.
- Intermediate to advance knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Excel, Word).
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence.
- A working knowledge of technical, industry, and professional standards and guidelines.
- Experience with air photo interpretation.
- Eligibility to register with Engineers and Geoscientists BC as an engineer-in-training.
- Experience interpreting engineering drawings and designs.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical results and observations to clients, contractors and project engineers both verbally and in written format.
- Problem-solving skills with a solution-based mindset.
- Demonstrated team player who works equally well in a self-directed environment.
- Efficient and effective at time management.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and grow in their career and level of responsibility.
- Proficiency with spoken and written English.
At Westrek, we offer competitive compensation packages and abundant opportunities to broaden your career in a dynamic work environment. We are committed to providing our employees with a healthy work/life balance. We strongly value ongoing professional development and encourage our team to pursue knowledge in leading areas of study to advance their technical skillset. We provide mentorship for in-training Engineers and Geoscientists BC members to achieve professional status.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.