Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineer 2, Real Time Systems
Job Number: BCH-R-5295-190809E1 RE-BULLET
Job Location: Langley, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
As an experienced engineer, investigates, analyzes, and solves a variety of engineering problems in the control center environment. The candidate will develop innovative engineering techniques, devise new approaches, and apply existing criteria in novel ways to investigate and resolve problems to support Real Time Operations and BC Hydro business objectives including:
- Recommend continuous improvements to the existing BC Hydro processes and procedures related to reliable real time systems operation, compliance, and security.
- Ensure that BC Hydro has processes and procedures in place to comply with the NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Security Standards and map these standards to BC Hydro internal processes.
- Recommend upgrades to BC Hydro Energy Management System (EMS) Infrastructure to ensure compliance with NERC CIP standards and industry best practises.
- Create and periodically review documentation asserting BC Hydro EMS compliance to NERC CIP standards.
- Ensure that existing compliance processes and procedures are adhered to and that audit evidence is collected and maintained.
- Represent BC Hydro during internal and external NERC CIP audits. Respond to internal and external requests to provide proof of compliance to NERC CIP standards where needed.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the RTS implementation of Mandatory Reliability Standards Compliance System (MCS) Application.
- Support NERC Compliance Lead in leadership tasks and action items.
- An advanced degree in engineering recognized by universities in Canada.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in a relevant engineering field and be eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
- Experience with the maintenance and operation of Energy Management Systems (EMS) is an asset.
- Knowledge of the NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Security Standards.
In addition, the following skillset are highly desired and will be evaluated through interview and testing:
- Security and System Administration and Software Development experience,
- Project management skills,
- Excellent working knowledge of security audit processes,
- Strong knowledge of various platforms, computer security, and general system administration (Windows, Linux),
- Excellent experience in developing programs/scripts for use in modifying/updating real-time applications and model. Proficiency in various programming languages such as Perl/Java/C/C++, and
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and office computer skills.
Candidates that do not fully meet all requirements and qualifications may be considered for Engineer 1 position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by August 23, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.