Closing Date: January 23, 2019
Reporting to the Superintendent, Mine Operations, the Senior Mine Operations Engineer is responsible for providing performance and project management support to the Mine Operations Department, including identification and implementation of best practices and improvement opportunities, and evaluation and analysis of current processes and key performance indicators.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Analyze and critique performance for pit operations and dispatch personnel.
- Identify and execute best practices, and set standards across crews.
- Optimize productivity in areas such as hang or queue times, shift start, dynamic utilization, truck requirements, and deficiencies.
- Evaluate dispatch protocols and process for effectiveness.
- Promote accurate and consistent communication between operators, pit supervisors, and maintenance.
- Analyze Mine Operations shift by shift performance to identify best practices and implement improvement opportunities.
- Analyze interfaces between Operations and other departments to ensure that planning is effective and departures from plans are effectively addressed.
- Provide overall continuous improvement support to the Operations Department, including facilitating project implementation, management of change, and ensuring initiatives are ‘locked-in’.
- Support projects for the Mine Operations group as required.
- B.Sc. of Engineering or equivalent with mining, civil, geotechnical specialization, or relevant field.
- Professional designation such as P.Eng. or P.Geo., registered in British Columbia.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in the mining industry.
- Previous operational experience is preferred.
- Excellent people and leadership skills to directly coach, mentor, and manage performances.
- Excellent management and coordination skills to be able to indirectly influence outcomes across operating and engineering departments.
- Good understanding of the function of a mine site and the inherent interrelationships involved.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, including leading change and making recommendations.
- Excellent analytical and facilitating skills.
- Driven, self-motivated, and strives for continuous improvement.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suit: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Excellent data entry and reporting skills, including the ability to understand and improve data integrity.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc, and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.