PBX Engineering is an electrical, systems, and software engineering firm, with offices in Victoria, Vancouver, and Squamish. We develop leading edge systems for municipal infrastructure, transportation, security, buildings, and industrial applications across Canada. Our extensive and diverse project portfolio includes infrastructure that positively impacts the public, and includes numerous award-winning projects. The Vancouver and Victoria offices are expanding their Systems Integration staff and are currently seeking qualified electrical engineers, technicians, or technologists.
PBX offers a challenging and rewarding environment. PBX employs innovative, critical thinkers who enjoy solving problems through creative and collaborative interaction. The selected candidate should be genuinely interested in participating in the mutually beneficial growth and technical development of a very strong and talented group of engineers and designers. Our diverse workload includes technical areas such as:
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) including field device integration, software system specification, development, and configuration, testing, and commissioning. Typical systems include:
- Reversible Lane Control Systems
- Advanced Traveler Information Systems
- Wildlife Monitoring and Detection Systems
- Tunnel Systems
- CCTV Systems
- Traffic Safety Systems
- Traffic Enforcement Systems
- Transportation Management Centres
- Network supporting infrastructure
- Water and wastewater infrastructure including SCADA systems and automation
- Security system design and integration including CCTV, perimeter security, and access control platforms
Working closely with Senior Systems Engineering and Specialists staff, the Systems Integrator will support the Systems Integration group, and will have direct responsibility for project tasks in the following areas:
- Preparation of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) design documentation including drawings, specifications, cost estimates, reports, manuals, test plans, and training materials.
- Development of software systems design documentation including Concepts of Operations, Use Case Assessments, Functional Requirements, state and logic-flow diagrams.
- Participation in design development and design review meetings with clients and other stakeholders.
- Configuration of ITS systems and devices including field hardware, head-end software systems and network equipment.
- Programming of PLCs, SCADA systems, Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs), and various automation components.
- Preparation of test plans and checklists.
- Performing system commissioning, testing, and troubleshooting in both test and field environments.
- Providing training services for system administrators, operators, and maintenance personnel.
- Travel to site locations and on-site work as required.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5–10 years’ experience in ITS or a related industry, with relevant, recent experience in performing duties similar to the above. The qualifications for the position include:
- Diploma in electrical/electronics engineering technology, or equivalent, from a recognized technical institute; or a degree in electrical engineering from an accredited university.
- Eligible for registration with ASTTBC (Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC) as an AScT.; or eligible for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists BC as an EIT/P.Eng.
- Experience in the design of ITS and/or industrial control systems.
- Working knowledge of applicable provincial, national and international standards for ITS and/or industrial controls.
- Experience with the implementation of a formalized software development design process.
- Experience with specifying, configuring, and testing a wide variety of electronic hardware components including low-voltage power distribution and conditioning equipment, sensors and signal-conditioning equipment, traffic control equipment, driver-display systems (signs), and a variety of networking and communications equipment.
- Experience programming PLCs, SCADA systems, and HMIs.
- Experience with a variety of industry-standard communications protocols for both serial and IP-based communications.
- Working knowledge of network design principles for fibre, copper, and wireless networks.
- Experience with the use of a variety of hardware and software-based diagnostic and testing tools and applications.
- Strong computer skills including excellent working knowledge of the MS Office suite and the ability to produce design drawings in CAD.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational ability and attention to detail.
- Effective interpersonal skills and a positive, professional attitude.
- Ability to deal effectively with a high level of responsibility and demanding work schedule.
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to ensure tasks are completed effectively and on time.
- Ability to work, for limited time periods, in noisy or harsh work environments.
We are a unique firm. We believe in supporting the long-term career development of our staff through a diverse and challenging workload, industry engagement, and internal and external training. We apply the same effort in fostering a positive social environment as we do in developing innovative and successful projects. We continuously strive to make our firm the kind of place where people want to stay—and our benefits package and approach to compensation are structured to support that goal. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resumes, complete with references, via email to [email protected]. Include “Systems Integrator” in the subject line.