Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer – Transmission Estimating
Job Number: BCH-R-6641-181130E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- As an experienced professional engineer, prepares the direct and indirect cost estimates for services, labour, materials, and equipment, and the high level schedules for 69kV–500kV transmission line (overhead, submarine and underground cable) and substation projects during planning, identification, definition, and implementation phases.
- Gathers information on project scope of work and contracting plans and assists in the establishment of the project work breakdown structure in preparation for estimating.
- Develops and manages the estimating work package or activities for the project, reviews the work packages of others for completeness versus the project scope before incorporating in the project estimate.
- Communicates with, and reviews the work and progress of assigned Hydro staff, consultants and contractors, and completed works to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to accepted engineering practice and procedures, and with the project work breakdown structure.
- Prepares information to support regulatory processes.
- Prepares for, coordinates, conducts, or presents estimates at management review meetings or at meetings addressing issues related to estimate/schedule in a project.
- Reviews final estimate package and ensure it meets all the requirements and comments from reviewers prior to final approvals/acceptance of the estimate.
- Provides technical leadership and acts as an expert technical resource responsible for providing professional/technical advice in estimating and scheduling.
- Provides input to and review of contract specifications and tender packages for bid-ability assessment, and to the contract schedule of payments.
- Analyzes and reports various attributes such as, progress, contract variation, and complex change requests from vendors, and overall analysis to support the estimating process or overall project performance.
- Supervises, coaches, and mentors other staff in the department, which may include both BC Hydro employees and consultants.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in the electrical or civil disciplines.
- Registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- A minimum of six (6) years of combined experience in engineering and construction including at least three (3) years related experience in heavy industrial projects estimating and scheduling working on varied complex utility contracts projects up to or in excess of $100 million in total project value. Preferably this experience is for power utility transmission lines (overhead and underground) and substation related projects.
- Demonstrated proficiency as a senior estimator with a solid understanding of estimating principles and practices, including risk, accuracy, Monte Carlo simulations, market and industry conditions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with multi-discipline engineering design (electrical, protection and control, civil, geotechnical, etc.).
- Experience in preparing substation conceptual layouts (for electrical discipline) based on single line diagrams.
- Working knowledge of project management principles.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, estimating and scheduling software and proficiency with MS Office (including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and ability to develop and work with computer models.
- Well-developed and highly proficient English verbal and written communications skills, as well as excellent leadership, facilitation, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Have a high level of initiative and ability to juggle multiple assignments and competing priorities.
- Have demonstrated planning, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills and the good judgment to develop innovative estimating and planning techniques and to apply practical knowledge in the analysis and resolution of problems.
- This role includes providing cost estimating, scheduling, and construction expertise for a wide variety of transmission lines and substations works including upgrading and new projects for all stages.
- Valid Class 5, or equivalent, driver's licence, and able and willing to travel and occasionally work at remote BC locations and as a condition of employment maintain your Class 5 Driver's Licence in Good Standing.
- A Member of AACE International organization and familiar with the AACE’s estimating recommended practices is preferred.
- Candidates with less experience may be considered for a position appropriate for their level of experience.
- This position will be bulletined internally and externally concurrently. Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by December 28, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.