Requisition ID: 80777
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc. is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets of Kiewit. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas and chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers (KIE) Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, rail, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on designing and providing engineering support prior to and during construction for infrastructure projects.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers (KIE) is seeking a Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer for our Construction Engineering Services (CES) team in the Burnaby, BC office. The successful candidate will have broad experience in geotechnical engineering and construction support, familiarity with current geotechnical tools/software/codes, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with both technical and field personnel in a fast-paced work environment.
- Prepare design packages and engineering solutions with consistent application of design standards and technical approaches that are in accordance with the design quality management program;
- Advise and provide direction to staff on proper execution of deliverables; serve as project manager and/or engineer of record with responsibility for design recommendations and deliverables associated with design components;
- Work on an interdisciplinary team including structural engineers, estimators, schedulers, construction experts to provide advice on construction methodology, geotechnical risk, and design of temporary and permanent works;
- Maintain good working relationships with Kiewit operating districts, clients, and other KIE entities to ensure a stable workload and proper engineering support to our clients/partners;
- Coordinate and continually monitor staff assignments and workload;
- Hire, train, and develop a growing team of geotechnical engineers; and
- Foster an environment that emphasizes collaboration and coordination; provide feedback and encourage learning to create growth opportunities; mentor team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in geotechnical engineering (or related field) is required. Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant post-graduate experience;
- Have, or be able to obtain within 6 months, P.Eng. registration;
- Strong all-around geotechnical academic background and experience including: support of excavation, earth retention, slope stability, rock mechanics, soft soils, seismic loading conditions, ground improvement, deep and shallow foundations, dewatering, and construction methodology;
- Design-Build and/or construction support experience in the infrastructure and transportation industry is preferred;
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of the organization, with or without technical backgrounds;
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst the team and with clients; and
- This position requires travel to work project sites or offices. Ability to travel based on business needs and freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record;
- Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row;
- Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between;
- RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages;
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines; and
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs