Reporting to the Project and Customer Service Manager, the Electrical Power Systems Engineer will safely deliver reliable, affordable and sustainable electrical services that enhance the quality of services for Nelson Hydro customers. The Electrical Power Systems Engineer position aims to fulfill the City of Nelson’s goal of being the number one municipality in Canada based on value for service.
As a member of the technical team for Nelson Hydro, the Electrical Power Systems Engineer will analyze and identify improvements to Nelson Hydro’s generation, transmission & distribution systems. The Engineer will also contribute to the implementation of system improvements by managing small projects and coordinating large projects through the entire project lifecycle.
A high regard for safety, improved system reliability, and cost-effective project delivery will indicate success in this position.
- Use CYME software to maintain a transmission and distribution system model which would include field audits.
- Running scenario analysis, phase imbalance, available fault current, and load growth simulations using the CYME model.
- Maintaining a safe, reliable, and efficient electrical distribution system. You will contribute to the study, revision, and documentation of electrical protection and coordination systems.
- Contributing to the maintenance of an AutoCad system model for system improvements, productivity and documentation.
- Implements asset management software and GIS software to increase productivity, and accuracy of inventory assets.
- Improve service delivery by contributing to the planning and roll-out of advanced metering infrastructure (Smart Meters).
- Reduce failure and costly repairs, and to enhance the lifespan of major equipment by administrating an effective preventative maintenance program.
- Prepares project proposals that provide cost effective solutions to achieve Nelson Hydro goals, and enhance the value for service.
- Planning and managing projects related to generation, substation, transmission & distribution, metering, and SCADA systems.
- You will contribute to the administration of equipment and material inventories to assist in maximizing the efficiency of the Nelson Hydro Line Crews.
- Ensure that all student engineers meet the goals and objectives of work-terms. The incumbent will provide functional supervision and training of daily activities.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Eligible for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Four years recent related experience. Experience with an electric utility or an engineering firm specializing in protection and controls is an asset.
- A candidate with a professional engineer designation, or who is eligible for registration as a professional engineer, is preferred. An engineer-in-training with suitable experience and qualifications will be considered.
- If the successful candidate is an EIT, they will be directly supervised by a professional engineer (P.Eng.) registered in BC.
- Familiarity with CYME software is preferred, but experience with alternative power engineering software will be considered.
- Experience with AutoCad is an asset.
- Ability in managing capital construction projects in the areas of generating stations, substations and/or power lines is an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders using written and oral communication.
- Excellent problem-solving and technical skills.
- Project Management.
- Problem Solving.
- Customer Service.