McElhanney Ltd. is seeking an experienced Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Prince George, BC. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated and talented individual to use expand their geotechnical design experience and project management skills in a busy and dynamic multidisciplinary team environment.
- Knowledge of geotechnical systems including: foundation design; asphalt and gravel pavement structure design; retaining structures; slope stability; geosynthetic ground improvement design.
- Prepare fee estimates and proposals for geotechnical projects, assist other intermediate and senior engineers with project and client management.
- Conduct field work and testing which may include borehole drilling, test pit supervision, construction site review, and slope stability assessments.
- Prepare logs, conduct geotechnical analyses, and prepare concise geotechnical reports and technical memos with pertinent recommendations. Provide geotechnical input for construction drawings and specifications.
- Undertake construction reviews and maintain suitable documentation for projects requiring geotechnical sign off in accordance with our Quality Management System.
- Work cross-functionally with our Civil Engineering Department assisting with land development, municipal, and transportation projects. Construction experience is an asset.
- Providing mentorship and guidance to junior and intermediate engineers and technical staff.
- Undergraduate university degree in geotechnical/geological engineering or civil engineering with a geotechnical speciality.
- 5–10 years' of progressive experience, with past experience on design projects such as land development, highways/roads, foundations, retaining walls, slope stability assessments, etc.
- Registration as a P.Eng. in BC, or eligible for registration.
- Experience with materials testing is an asset, especially familiarity with laboratory and field project management.
- Experience with BC Ministry of Transportation projects is an advantage.
- Able to work outdoors in varied weather conditions and environments. Able to travel to and work in remote locations; some overtime will be required for this role.
- Local knowledge of Northern BC is considered an asset.
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate responsibilities and motivate others to produce results.
- Communicate effectively with clients, coworkers, and contractors. Working with coworkers in other branches is essential.
- Organized, good written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, excellent problem-solving skills, and general computer knowledge.
- Experience with various geotechnical software such as Geostudio and Rocscience software.
- Meet company safety requirements.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation, and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.