Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Sr. Engineer- Main Civil Works-Site C-Fort St-John
Job Number: BCH-T-5137-200310E1
Job Location: Fort St John Site C Constr ofc, Northern Interior
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Based out of Fort St. John, BC Hydro’s Site C Project (The Project) has an immediate opening for a Senior Engineer who would be interested in contributing their knowledge and developing their abilities in earthworks and infrastructure for this large hydroelectric development. The successful candidate will play an integral role within BC Hydro’s Resident Engineering Team, and providing support to the Earthfill Lead Engineer.
- Developing a strong understanding of The Project’s Main Civil Works contract, including scope of work , technical specifications, Issued for Construction Drawings and contractor prepared drawings and submittals, providing oversight on behalf of the Resident Engineering Team (RE Team) to ensure contractor completed works are in compliance with BC Hydro’s technical requirements;
- Participating in and providing supervision, coaching and mentorship to the field engineering staff , performing field reviews and quality assurance inspections of earthworks as a Senior member of the RE Team;
- Use previous construction experience to proactively anticipate, identify and assist with contractor constructability challenges and/or related construction risks;
- Work collaboratively to develop solutions to construction related challenges which will involve liaising with RE Team leads, Construction Management and the Engineering Design Teams;
- Participating in review of and developing feedback on the contractor prepared drawings and submittals, as well in sharing with and briefing RE Team members on new designs or design changes ;
- Preparation of daily reports, technical memorandums, and field instructions/field advice memorandums;
- Working safely, including promotion of a safety above all else culture in the work place;
- Hold a recognized degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering, and registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC within a reasonable period of time;
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive and comprehensive construction/design related experience in some of the following:
- Earthfill dam embankment material production, placement and compaction;
- Rock excavations and protection, preferably in shale bedrock;
- Foundation treatment and grouting; o Soil mechanical in-situ and laboratory tests;
- QC/QA field inspections in heavy civil construction projects;
- Borrow sources material characterization, mine planning, and material handling;
- Fill construction in cold weather;
- Familiar with large heavy civil construction contracts;
- Ability to understand multi-discipline designs concepts depicted on construction drawings;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal, within a multi-discipline team (safety, environmental, regulatory, construction management, geotechnical, civil-structural, electrical and mechanical);
- Ability to maintain quality throughout a project and implementing improvements when determined;
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products;
- Ability to re-locate to Fort St. John;
- Ability to work set shift schedules to be discussed during the interview process;
- A valid driver’s license issued by a Canadian province;
This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations. Conditions of employment is the you maintain the following:
- Driver's License Type = Class 5
- Engineers & GeoScientists BC = In Good Standing
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment. This position is located in Fort St John, and does not offer Fly In/fly Out. As such relocation to Fort St John is preferred. This is a Full time Temporary position, scheduled to end approximately in November 2022.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://www.bchydro.com/toolbar/careers/current_opp.html by 2020-03-31.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.