Make an impact at Canada’s premier mining company.
When you advance your career at New Gold, you are joining a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development and exploration of mineral properties. Our mission is be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable value for our employee, shareholders, the communities in which we live and work and our environment. To learn more about New Gold, visit our website at www.newgold.com. To learn more about our culture and people practices, visit the Career page.
New Gold attracts and hires highly skilled individuals. By joining our team, you can look forward to:
- A stimulating values-based work environment
- A culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted commitment to responsible mining, health and safety and community engagement
- A competitive total compensation program
- A comprehensive benefits package including a retirement savings plan
Situated 10 kilometers west of Kamloops, British Columbia, the New Afton Mine is an underground gold and copper producing site.
Kamloops is a city of 90,000 people, located 350 kilometers east of Vancouver. The area provides the opportunity to live and work in a vibrant community with its own university and within easy reach of world class ski resorts, championship golf courses, mountain biking trails, popular recreational lakes and award-winning vineyards
Schedule: Shift 5/2
Position Reports To: Technical Services Superintendent
As an integral part of New Afton’s technical services team, the Senior Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for overseeing all geotechnical aspects of the underground mining operation.
- Leadership and mentoring of the underground geotechnical team.
- Ownership of the site Ground Control Management Plan.
- Implementation of the Cave Management Plan.
- Performing excavation stability analysis and modelling.
- Implementing ground support design standards for underground mine development and rehabilitation.
- Ensuring underground geotechnical routine inspections and audits are completed.
- Involved in coordinating advanced numerical modelling studies with external consultants.
- Monitoring and updating the long term mine rehabilitation plan.
- Analyzing and interpreting geotechnical monitoring data.
- Design, budgeting and scheduling of the underground instrumentation system.
- Completing various geotechnical projects, as required.
- Trialing new technology in ground support and geotechnical innovation.
- Providing geotechnical input for inrush management, mine design, draw control and mineral reserves.
- 7 years’ experience as an underground Geotechnical Engineer.
- Bachelor’s or Master's Degree in Geological, Geotechnical, Civil or Mine Engineering.
- Professional Engineering Designation (P.Eng.) or eligible for registration.
- Understanding of the block caving mining method.
- Experience leading a technical team.
- Experience with block caving.
- Experience with 3D mine design software e.g. Vulcan.
- Experience with geotechnical analysis and modelling software e.g. RS3, UnWedge, Dips, FLAC3D.
Candidates will be required to participate in a comprehensive qualification process, including:
- Successful completion of pre-placement functional screen
- Provide proof of a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Demonstrate eligibility to work in Canada
- Provide confirmation of valid educational requirements
Successful candidates will be required to relocate to the Kamloops area or bear the cost of travel and local accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process. New Gold does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a forma contractual arrangement with the Company. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by New Gold will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered.
New Gold is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or follow us on LinkedIn.