Closing Date: September 23, 2021
Join a growing team of geotechnical professionals and build an exciting and rewarding career in open pit mining!
Reporting to the Engineering Superintendent, the Senior Engineer Supervisor Geotechnical is responsible for handling all mining geotechnical functions for both operations and related projects at Greenhills Operation.
To be successful in this role we are looking for someone with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills; someone who is a motivated self starter, organized, and able to prioritize competing demands. We require an individual who can work well with a team, but also has strong supervisory skills, including conflict resolution and the ability to build collaborative relationships with the operating teams. These skills are vital as you will be leading and mentoring our geotechnical team to success.
You will play an active role in Teck's geotechnical community through ongoing collaboration with geotechnical personnel in our other engineering groups through professional development, engagement, and empowerment.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about!
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures;
- Apply geotechnical expertise to rock slopes, waste dumps, blast vibration analysis, and soil slopes and foundations along with providing input into structural modelling;
- Design and implement programs (both technical and training) to identify, eliminate, or mitigate geotechnical hazards, close gaps, and improve designs;
- Coordinate site geotechnical programs, including monitoring systems, exploration, and depressurization drilling programs. Provide support for analysis and design, and coordinate with the operating teams;
- Coordinate and review work by external geotechnical consultants;
- Liaise with and facilitate geotechnical program reviews with both regulators and external groups like the Geotechnical Review Board;
- Review short and long range plans for geotechnical hazards, data gaps, and design deficiencies;
- Supervise, train, and mentor geotechnical and tailings engineering personnel; and
- Perform data analytics and pit slope modeling for early identification of developing instabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in geological, geotechnical, or civil engineering;
- Registered as a P.Eng., with Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
- Minimum 8 years’ relevant geotechnical experience, including a recent geotechnical role at a large open pit mining operation;
- Solid understanding of industry standard geotechnical software and Microsoft Office Suite®; and
- Experience in geotechnical data analysis, site investigations, project evaluation, and management.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each persons unique perspective and contribution. Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.