Backun Musical Services is a Canadian manufacturing company specializing in Clarinets and Clarinet Accessories. The company’s products are played globally by many of the world’s most respected woodwind artists, while being sold through a network of distributors and dealers in more than 30 countries. Using advanced CNC machines and complex manufacturing processes, Backun Musical Services designs and manufactures exceptional woodwind products in Burnaby, BC, Canada.
The company is in search of an outstanding engineer to develop the technology and methodology to manufacture revolutionary new products for the Woodwind instrument family.
The successful applicant will have experience in mechanical, manufacturing engineering and design. Any related experience in acoustics and wind instruments would be an added asset. The applicant will be expected to show examples of innovation in their work, as well as a demonstrated track record of success in design and turn-key manufacturing.
- Develop a design and manufacturing plan for new models/materials.
- Prepare engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for the parts required in the building of the clarinets and accessories.
- Ensure project part designs meets technical standards.
- Perform engineering calculations and analyses to refine the design of all parts on an ongoing basis.
- Implement quality assurance and continuous improvement procedures.
- Program and design parts for manufacturing on our multiple CNC machines.
- Develop and direct project plans, reporting to the VP of Operations, ensuring that projected budget, schedules, and requirements are met.
- Identify further capital investment that may be required (as needed).
- Work with HR Manger to build the team as the project progresses, providing training, support, and guidance to other team members.
- Prepare monthly reports for senior management.
- Assist in other tasks related to engineering projects or any engineering function of the company.
- Liaise with outside suppliers as required.
- Professional engineering degree and/or equivalent industrial experience.
- Eligibility to register as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in the province of BC is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience within a manufacturing environment.
- Manufacturing experience employing CNC machines. Must be able to read CNC G code and be capable of programming manually.
- Experience with various materials preferred.
- Knowledge of acoustics an asset.
- Knowledge of Esprit CAM and SolidWorks CAD software.
- Hands-on attitude towards problem solving.
- Ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, while interacting with staff, vendors, and clients.
- Experience with writing detailed technical reports.
- Exceptional command of both written and oral English.
- Strong strategic and analysis skills.
- Self-motivated, accountable and ethical, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Experience in music, woodwinds, and/or woodworking an asset.