Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
The Transmission & Distribution Technology and Testing Sector provides laboratory and field-testing of overhead and underground T&D infrastructure including high voltage testing, environmental testing, vibration/shock testing, temperature rise testing and safety tool testing. It also offers consulting and investigation services, including asset management studies, failure investigations, expert witness testimony, and development of test programs. This sector has a number of premier laboratories including the High Voltage Laboratory, Cables Laboratory, Mechanical Laboratory, High Current Laboratory and our Safety Tool Test Shop.
Specifically, this team is considered world-class in the areas of electrical and mechanical transmission and distribution testing. Besides a considerable portfolio of routine laboratory testing services, it is continually advancing a number of innovative technologies in various stages of incubation and development, from concept through to commercialization. In addition, this team provides a large and rapidly growing number of consulting and testing services to utilities including underground cable testing, T&D structures assessments, T&D equipment assessments (insulators, distribution class transformers <69kV, surge arresters, bushings, cables, connections, terminations, etc).
Beyond these laboratory and field services, the team also plays a significant role in shaping the future of the industry by leading and participating in standards committees and forums.
As a senior Electrical Engineer reporting to the T&D Sector leadership, the selected candidate will be expected to lead a team of electrical technician and technologist to conduct field and lab inspection and testing of T&D safety tools and equipment. Responsibilities include establishing an understanding of the global industry trends, developing a long-range strategy, and operationalizing this plan to ensure continued customer engagement and support, growth and day-to-day operational excellence. This leadership role requires teamwork with corporate support functions and the other Managers across Powertech Labs.
Further, the incumbent is expected to be a technical expert in his/her own right and to provide technical leadership and day-to-day management to the team. The selected candidate will be expected to engage customers from around North America and beyond, identify and develop new service offerings to meet emerging and market needs and, collaborate with market participants to advance technology and the associated industry standards. With a relentless focus on safety and quality, the incumbent is expected to pursue policies and activities that constantly raise the field safety procedures and practices, the quality accreditation and the performance of the sector.
- Manage, lead and support a team of electrical technicians and technologists to conduct field testing on insulated safety equipment, tools and vehicles.
- Manage a core competency program and resource plan.
- Develop and manage a tool/test equipment and asset inventory system and calibration process.
- Sign off testing reports
- Be accountable for all aspects of the team and department including, but not limited to, financial (P&L), staff, facilities and laboratories, safety, quality, environment, capital expansion, customer interactions, project scoping and scheduling and estimates, and business development.
- Ensure that qualified internal and external resources are available and have the required expertise and tools to meet work plans; allocate resources to various projects within the work program; assign and coordinate work, and provide instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project and technical staff; review work in progress and assess completed work for accuracy, required results and compliance with quality assurance standards and procedures; where necessary provide mentorship and coaching to team members.
- Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals and conducting client follow-up.
- Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain the required expertise; assist the business unit director in staff selection, training and recommending promotions.
- Develop a robust program of new services in support of growing the team and the services offered to Powertech’s customers by monitoring and understanding industry/market trends, issues, and opportunities and assess for feasibility and market size.
- Work collaboratively with other teams across Powertech and seek opportunities for cross-discipline projects.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Electrical Engineering; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of a highly qualified team of technical experts
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC is required
- Demonstrated proficiency as a Professional Engineer
- Excellent customer service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”.
- Good aptitude for marketing and client contacts
- Demonstrated management of a Profit & Loss (P&L) statement and an understanding of annual planning, budgeting and business forecasting
- Knowledge of environmental, socio-economic and public interest issues and their impact on area of expertise
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field
- Excellent leadership, team building and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences and liaise with peers in industry
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Maintain professional relationships and communication with other departments, outside consultants, contractors and suppliers in order to effectively and efficiently gather and relay information and resolve issues of concern
- Conceive and explore new services opportunities
- Excellent detail-oriented, problem solving skills
- Ability to complete engineering tasks independently
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
- Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction
- Focus on safety, consistency and quality in all work activities
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Location: Surrey BC
Job ID: TDTL2018.53
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: January 1, 2019
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc., visit us online at powertechlabs.com.