Wanted: An experienced and creative Transportation Design Engineer to support our growing team. Subject to experience and qualifications, we will consider candidates from intermediate level with a drive to progress their career to senior level with appropriate and proven experience that can help lead the team towards new highs.
You: Bring a progressive perspective and creative solutions to transportation design problems that support our municipal and provincial client needs to manage their evolving transportation challenges. We want you to provide leading edge solutions that give our clients and the communities we work with the ability to manage their transportation project goals and objectives. Transportation projects will range from planning to concept through detailed design, tender, and construction services.
Us: We offer a different experience from many other consultants, we provide a collaborative low-bureaucracy environment where you can flourish and focus on our client’s success. We provide the flexibility and freedom to grow your career the way you want to, which keeps passionate and creative people at the company. We’re big enough to take on most projects but small enough that we know each other. The company regularly gets together every year to share, learn, and have a little bit of fun at our staff development seminar. Our project manager retreat gets the leaders of our company together every year to discuss company direction, its success, and of course a little more fun.
Together: If you have a passion to address the evolving transportation needs of our communities, we won’t hold you back! Reporting to the Manager of Highway Design and Construction, the Intermediate or Senior Transportation Design Engineer will support the team as required, lead their own projects, and advance the Transportation Design and Construction discipline at ISL.
How do you define a successful project? If your first thought was ‘A Happy Client’ we'd love to meet you.
- Proposal writing, project cost estimating, and timely delivery of successful project proposals;
- Business development through client meetings, conferences, mixers, and development of appropriate marketing materials;
- Present project successes at conferences; and
- Attend industry technical committees.
- Fulfill roles of Design Manager and/or Highway Design Engineer of Record on projects of all sizes. Sign and seal drawings and documents as required;
- Liaise with clients and ensure client satisfaction through effective design management;
- Project management of projects of all sizes, including scope, schedule, and budget;
- Management of multi-discipline project teams and liaison with internal disciplines including traffic and road safety, transportation planning, municipal engineering, landscape architecture, environmental management, structural design, public engagement, and graphic design, as well as external sub-consultants as necessary;
- Complete highway and roadway designs for various types of rural and urban transportation projects. Proficient Civil 3D skills are an asset;
- Provide engineering design solutions to address project issues and constraints to achieve client project objectives;
- Collaboration with multi-discipline project teams to address complex project problems and provide comprehensive project solutions;
- Review third-party designs to ensure accuracy and compliance with project as a whole;
- Produce and review project construction cost estimates, risk registers, contract documents, and specifications. Familiarity with BC Ministry of Transportation and MMCD formats are an asset
- Provide design review during construction through to completion of post-construction drawing records and documentation. Construction experience is an asset;
- Preparation of written material to document project work including memo’s, reports, plans, briefing materials, and guidelines in a clear and concise manner; and
- Work in accordance with Quality Management processes, ensure technical quality of deliverables, and ensure schedule milestones are achieved.
- Provide clear direction and ask for it where necessary;
- Communicate with internal and external clients and partners;
- Develop, guide and mentor other staff; and
- Lead by example.
- Other duties as appropriate;
- Attend ISL’s Annual Staff Development Seminar; and
- Attend ISL Project Manager Retreat.
The successful candidate will have a get-it-done attitude, an ability and willingness to support projects at a technical level, and lead as required for project success. Role specific requirements include:
- 10+ years demonstrated experience in a relevant field, with at least 3+ years in BC. Experience on BC Ministry of Transportation projects is an asset;
- Engineering degree; and
- Professional designation (P.Eng.) in BC.
- Familiarity with project lifecycle and deliverable requirements for multi-discipline transportation projects;
- Direct experience with design software including AutoCAD, Auto Turn, Civil 3D;
- Experience using Microsoft Office; and
- Knowledge of TAC and BC Supplement design guidelines, BC Ministry Construction Specifications and MMCD standards.
- Team player with flexible attitude and strong organizational skills;
- Passionate about transportation;
- Travel in Western Canada as required;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Highly motivated; and
- BC Driver’s Licence.
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community.
- We are nimble. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers. Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus.
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com.