British Columbia Rapid Transit Company Ltd. (BCRTC) maintains and operates two of Metro Vancouver’s 3 SkyTrain lines. SkyTrain is the first and one of the longest, fully-automated, driverless, rapid transit systems in the world. It boasts an average on-time service performance rating of 95% and moves on average 250,000 passengers per weekday.
Both the SkyTrain lines operate out of BCRTC's Operations and Maintenance Centre in Burnaby, where more than 900 dedicated staff work in the areas of administration, engineering, elevator and escalator maintenance, field operations, vehicle maintenance, and wayside (station and guideway) maintenance.
The Expo and Millennium SkyTrain Lines connect downtown Vancouver with the cities of Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, and Surrey. With future expansion of both Expo and Millennium lines upcoming, and the start of an infrastructure renewal in full swing, now is an exciting time to be part of our team. Come and explore what makes us one of BC’s Top Employers!
As the asset owner, applies senior level engineering expertise to the assets and systems in the designated discipline and supports the safe, reliable, and efficient rail transportation service delivery within an integrated, multi-jurisdictional environment.
- Leads the engineering and technical aspect in the development and refinement of asset engineering, management, and maintenance strategy in ensuring the reliability, availability, maintainability, and safety of BCRTC assets. Provide senior-level engineering support, technical input, and advice to the Annual Maintenance Plan, Asset Renewal Plan, and capital replacement plans. Develops, reviews, and refines engineering standards, policies, and procedures for asset maintenance and capital projects to ensure the alignment with regulations, codes, and industry best practices;
- Provides innovative, senior engineering advice, and guidance to asset maintenance and capital projects on safety, quality assurance, compliance, and asset performance. Monitors asset performance, leads the investigation on significant failures, and develops robust and reliable solutions. Plans and recommends asset changes and improvements to maximize asset performance and efficiency with the consideration on cost, quality, security, and environmental impact. Conducts practical and theoretical analysis to discover solutions to engineering problems. Develops reports/recommendations and presents to senior leadership team. Assesses and communicates technical impacts, and implication of operational decisions and needs to internal/external stakeholders;
- Identifies, reviews, and selects techniques, procedures and methods to perform engineering assignments. Investigates and reviews best industry practice in rail operations and asset maintenance and recommends changes to BCRTC practice. Investigates and reviews existing and emerging technology and recommend applications to the SkyTrain systems. Develops business case for introducing new practice and new technology, and manages the implementation;
- Leads the technical aspect of capital and non-capital projects of high complexity and risks. Reviews and approves the technical specifications, drawings, and documentations regarding the assigned projects. Represents BCRTC engineering at various project meetings with internal and external stakeholders;
- Reviews and approves asset configuration control documentations. Develops, reviews, and refines configuration control procedures for asset maintenance;
- Forms strong partnerships and develops trusted, productive, and highly responsive interactions with key stakeholders in BCRTC and across the enterprise; and
- Supervises reporting staff, including all people practices such hiring, training and development, coaching, monitoring, and performance management.
The competencies of this position would be acquired through completion of a university degree in engineering in a required discipline, including a professional engineer designation or eligibility to be register with Engineers and Geoscientists BC, plus 8 years of senior-level engineering experience, preferably within transit and a Rolling Stock or Rail Infrastructure environment.
- Advanced knowledge on the principles, theories, and practices of the designated engineering discipline;
- Advanced knowledge on relevant standards, legislation, acts and regulatory requirements pertaining to the rail industry;
- Working knowledge of railway operation and maintenance practices, including configuration control;
- Advanced analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, to resolve critical and high impact technical issues;
- Advanced skill in creating technical reports, standards, procedures, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, FMECA, schematic, or technical drawings;
- Solid knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, and practices of project management and project reporting;
- Solid time management skills to balance and coordinate effort across multiple, concurrent activities; and
- Solid communication skills and interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders, with the ability to achieve consensus between groups.
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week
Rate of pay: Starting at $94,085 per annum
Please save your cover letter, and your resume as one PDF document and email it to [email protected]. If you are a current employee of TransLink, Coast Mountain Bus Company, BC Rapid Transit Company, or Transit Police, please apply internally.
An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario, and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is free of all forms of discrimination. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email us.
The total compensation package includes extended health, dental, transit pass and enrollment in the Public Service Pension Plan. Focus on your development through tuition reimbursement, training, and mentorship programs. Enjoy a variety of health and wellness programs, including access to gym facilities. Speak to us to know more about what we offer.