Job Number: BCH-R-4184-190906E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full Time - Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The Operational Technology Services team is a small group with a broad base of Engineering and IT skills working with IT and OT technologies. The team is responsible for the design, expansion and support of a province wide distributed infrastructure and set of applications that capture instrumentation data to archive, display, analyse and alert on changing operating or process information from field equipment. The infrastructure is comprised of the plant industrial networks located at over 30 facilities and interface servers that poll Intelligent Electronic Devices (IED) such as controllers, meters, equipment monitoring devices and sensors. The infrastructure feeds data into OSIsoft’s PI system to record and display equipment and operating data in real-time. The team is responsible for the design and support of the industrial networks at the generating stations, integration of IEDs, firewall infrastructure, data collection architecture, and visualization and analysis tools. In addition the group is responsible for change management, cyber security and NERC CIP compliance for generating stations.
- As an experienced Senior Engineer with extensive hands-on experience with networks involving industrial and control systems LAN network design and network management including firewalls, switches, security software and communication protocols. Activities include planning, design, installation, implementation and testing in accordance with engineering best practices. Recommend and evaluate design or improvements related to plant industrial networks in accordance with NERC CIP standards and cyber security practices.
- Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering and system application problems in the implementation and support of industrial plant networks, integration of IEDs and Operational Information infrastructure.
- As part of the Compliance team, will be responsible for NERC CIP compliance sustainment activities, providing compliance evidence and attending internal and external NERC CIP audits.
- System integration including device testing, interface communication configuration and completing engineering drawings to integrate devices to the plant networks in accordance with BC Hydro processes.
- Troubleshoot problems related to communications, infrastructure, operating systems, databases and software related to Operational Technology applications and plant devices.
- Provide ongoing support to plant and maintenance personnel during upgrades to the plant industrial networks.
- Work closely with various BC Hydro engineering teams, and other internal and external crossfunctional groups to execute required tasks.
- Work with vendors to solve infrastructure, system or device related problems.
- Considerable experience in the area of network design, network management, firewalls and industrial switches.
- A good understanding of various network and telecom architectures and experience with network monitoring tools such as SolarWinds , Splunk, etc.
- Good working knowledge with Windows and Linux OS based systems, and virtual environments.
- Experience with system integration of various programmable devices found in the industrial facilities such as gateways, switches, protocol convertors, relays, PLCs and HMIs.
- Working experience with control system architectures and industrial communication protocols (modbus/tcp , dnp3, OPC, rs232, rs485, etc).
- Familiarity with intrusion/detection protection systems, whitelisting and antivirus methods and vulnerability assessment tools.
- A degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering recognized by Universities in Canada.
- 7+ years of experience in a relevant engineering field and eligible to be registered as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a skilled group of technically proficient staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of users and stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills to pro-actively manage relationships with users, stakeholders, and service providers.
- Comfortable presenting to senior staff and field technicians.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Good problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal skills.
- Capable of working well under pressure and on variety of operational tasks.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated a high technical skillset, attention to detail, and the ability to learn and apply new skills as required.
A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain the following requirements in good standing: APEGBC: Association of Prof Eng & GeoSci = In Good Standing Driver's License Type = Class 5
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by October, 6th 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.