Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer - Site-C (Fort St. John)
Job Number: BCH-T-0622-190810E1
Job Location: Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Temporary
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Based out of Fort St. John, BC Hydro Generation Engineering’s Site C Project (the Project) is looking to hire Mechanical Field Engineers at the Intermediate or Senior level. We are looking for candidates who would be interested in contributing their knowledge and developing their abilities within the Project’s Resident Engineering Team (RE Team).
The Project includes a variety of mechanical engineering-related construction activities and BC Hydro is mindful Intermediate Engineers may have limited experience related to some of the upcoming construction scope of work. BC Hydro is passionate about developing well-rounded professional engineers. RE Team members will play an active role in identifying areas of interest/career development, receiving encouragement to strengthen and develop new engineering expertise.
The GSS subproject includes the construction of the generating station and spillways on the south bank of the Peace River. This work will include:
- Placement of approximately 700,000 cubic metres of mass and reinforced concrete;
- Fabrication and installation of embedded system and drain pipes;
- Embedded turbine parts and pressure measuring taps and pipes;
- Fabrication and installation of 6 penstocks;
- Fabrication and erection of structural steel for the powerhouse;
- Installation of embedded anchors and guides for intake gates and maintenance gates; and
- Installation of intake trash-racks and anti-vortex devices.
The successful candidate will play an integral roll acting on behalf of the Engineer-of-Record in the field, verifying the compliance of contractor constructed works in conformance with contract documents, including scope and quality.
Specific duties include:
- Develop a strong understanding of the contract’s scope/specifications/Issued for Construction Drawings and contractor-prepared drawings/submittals. Providing oversight on behalf of the BC Hydro’s Engineer-of-Record, to ensure the contractor’s work activities are completed in conformance with the design and approved work methods.
- Provide and coordinate signoff of contractor hold points as required by the contract documents.
- Use construction experience to proactively anticipate, identify, and assist with the mitigation of contractor interfaces and/or related construction risks.
- Preparation of written construction progress reports.
- Host site visits for Project stakeholders.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to Project stakeholders/regulators.
- Holds a recognized degree in mechanical engineering and is registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
- A minimum of 8 years relevant work experience. Candidates with 4+ years may be considered at the Intermediate Engineer level;
- Knowledge of engineering theory, principles, and practices as they relate to hydro mechanical components;
- Knowledge of the construction materials standards and approved testing methodologies established by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and other standards organizations;
- Experience in engineering projects development and techniques;
- Experience in administration of contracts;
- Working knowledge of Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures;
- Ability to read and interpret structural and mechanical drawings;
- Experience with construction of hydroelectric projects, specifically intake, powerhouse, spillway and transition dams, turbine and generator, and balance of plant considered an asset;
- Demonstrated experience with identification of construction problems and resolution through design change notice;
- Experience with reviews of structural drawings identifying problems and resolutions;
- Demonstrated ability to verbally and graphically convey problem resolution to engineering and construction parties;
- Strong written and verbal English communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills;
- Ability to understand multi-discipline designs concepts depicted on construction drawings;
- Ability to promote effective communication within a multi-discipline team (safety, environmental, regulatory, geotechnical, civil-structural, electrical, and mechanical);
- Working safely, including promotion of a safety above all else culture in the work place;
- Interpretation of schedules for large construction projects;
- Mentoring/developing junior technical staff;
- Preparation of regular project summary reports;
- Maintaining quality throughout a project and implementing improvements when determined;
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products;
- Ability to re-locate to Fort St. John;
- Ability to work set shift schedules to be discussed during the interview process;
- This is a Full-Time Temporary position until November 2022;
- This position is headquartered at the Site C Fort St. John Office;
- This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations;
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations;
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain a Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing; and
- Please note the work location is accessible only by personal vehicle or carpool.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 2, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.