Powertech Labs Inc., BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: generation, transmission and distribution, substations, power systems, grid modernization, and advanced transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists, and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Team Lead – Application Delivery to join, lead, develop and grow a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, BC.
Powertech’s Power Systems sector meets the need for grids security with a comprehensive suite of power system analysis tools, and with capabilities of examining and optimizing power system performance. Powertech’s flagship software package, DSATools™, incorporates leading-edge technologies for both offline (system planning) and online (near-real-time operation) dynamic security assessment of large complex power systems. The Power Systems sector also provides a wide range of technical consulting services, and the up-to-date and real-world experience in performing power system consulting studies worldwide, which also aids the software team in constantly improving the software tools to address new technical challenges as they emerge.
Reporting to the Director, Power Systems, the incumbent will lead the Application Delivery team by providing technical and professional leadership in achieving work program objectives.
- Manage, lead, and support a team of engineers in electrical engineering to deliver projects of varying complexities.
- Provide technical and commercial leadership with respect to the advancement of DSAToolsTM.
- Play an industry-level expert role in promoting our global leadership role in advanced power system analysis tools, applications, and consulting services.
- Actively engage our global customer base to solicit, respond to requests, provide products and services, request and respond to feedback on services provided.
- Provide input and recommendations on budget, work planning, and resource allocations for the Sector.
- Assist in developing the objectives, quality assurance standards, and performance measurements to meet customer needs.
- Assist in managing the technical and operational performance of the team to meet objectives and client servicing needs.
- Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals, and conducting client follow-up.
- Assist the sector director in staff selection, training, and recommending promotions.
- Deliver technical training courses to clients.
- Advanced degree (PhD preferred) in electrical engineering recognized by universities in Canada.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in electrical engineering; equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in several areas: power system software development and application including DSAToolsTM and other similar commercially available products; power system consulting studies; experience in customer support.
- Registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency as a professional engineer.
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of a highly qualified team of technical experts, as well as management of software and consulting projects for national and international customers.
Required technical experience and knowledge
- Strong knowledge of bulk power system analysis, with focus on power system simulation, transient stability, voltage stability, and small signal stability.
- Strong knowledge of power system modeling techniques, analysis methods and algorithms.
- Proficiency in FORTRAN and C++ programming.
- Familiarity with power system simulation/analysis tools, such as PSS/E, PSCAD, and RTDS.
- Familiarity with power system planning and operation studies.
Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
- Demonstrated rigor in modelling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field.
- Entrepreneurial with proven track record in business development success.
- Demonstrated management of a P&L and an understanding of annual planning, budgeting, and business forecasting.
- Knowledge of environmental, socio-economic, and public interest issues and their impact on area of expertise.
- Broad technical knowledge of the utility business with recognized technical expertise.
- Excellent leadership, team building, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences, and liaise with peers in industry.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making capabilities.
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
Location: Surrey, BC
Job ID: TLAD2019.12
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation and Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: February 28, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at www.powertechlabs.com.