Powertech, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving electrical, oil and gas industry, and automotive and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. It operates as a separate, un-regulated, for profit, commercial entity. In addition to providing technical and technology services to BC Hydro, Powertech serves a large number of clients in energy-related sectors across North America, Asia, Europe, and South America and beyond. Powertech is located on an 11 acre, 21-lab campus in Surrey and has approximately 180 employees. Powertech’s reach and reputation is global and it is recognized as a leader in technology and testing. In particular, the Powertech brand and reputation commands a dominant position in North America.
The company's staff of professional engineers, scientists, and technologists offers a range of forward looking technology services to help clients solve complex problems, maximizing asset performance. The broad services on offer include electrical technology, mechanical technology, applied materials, inspections and asset management, applied chemistry, software technology, power system studies, energy systems, smart utility and hydrogen gas stations, and engineering.
To support growth and expansion, we have an exciting and challenging opportunity for an Electrical/Instrumentation or Process/Mechanical Engineer to join a team of professionals involved in the development of innovative hydrogen refueling technology.
The Hydrogen Infrastructure group is a technical leader in the design, construction, and operation of compressed hydrogen fueling infrastructure solutions – these include stationary, semi-permanent, and mobile refueling stations, light-weight tube trailers, and station testing and certification equipment. We pioneered the design of turnkey, containerized hydrogen fueling station packages. Other firsts include the world’s first 700 bar “fast-fill” hydrogen refueling station and the first hydrogen station capable of fueling four fuel cell vehicles simultaneously.
As a member of the Hydrogen Stations team, you will work as a design engineer to support the development of hydrogen fueling stations. You will work with a team of engineers, software programmers, technicians, and fabricators to improve our existing hydrogen fueling stations and develop new products. In this multidisciplinary environment, you will be involved in engineering design, process improvements, testing, quality control, and optimization. The position will have a range of responsibilities including liaising with customers, and project management.
- Perform electrical/instrumentation or mechanical/process design of hydrogen refueling equipment.
- Oversee and assist technicians and electricians involved in the construction and testing of the hydrogen fueling stations.
- Ensure quality control and safety of the process and design.
- Develop processes that will improve the efficiency of operations.
- Assist with sourcing of project materials and components.
- Work with multiple contractors and customers at any given time.
- Maintain professional relationships with other departments, outside consultants, contractors and suppliers in order to gather and relay information and resolve issues of concern.
- Provide customer support for new and existing hydrogen stations.
- Undergraduate degree in electrical/instrumentation, mechanical, chemical, or equivalent engineering recognized by universities in Canada.
- 6–8 years’ related experience ideally in a design engineering and production environment. Individuals with less experience may be considered.
- Eligibility for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Registered Engineers in Training may be considered.
Some combination of the following skills and experience are required:
- Electrical controls design.
- Instrumentation specification and troubleshooting.
- PLC/HMI programming (Allen Bradley or other).
- AutoCAD and/or 3D CAD Design (Solidworks or similar).
- Preparing technical specifications and control descriptions.
- Familiarity with relevant codes and standards (electrical code, pressure piping).
- Fluids and thermodynamics design.
- Development of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Understanding of mechanical, electrical and control systems.
- Proficiency in project management.
- Technical risk assessments for process designs will be considered an asset.
- Hydrogen or other high pressure gas experience will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling safety behaviours and safety awareness for working in laboratories and the field.
- Excellent customer-service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent detail-oriented, problem-solving skills.
- Good aptitude for marketing and client contacts.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate team members.
- Ability to complete engineering tasks independently.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles, and solutions.
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks.
- Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction.
- Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities.
- Ability to optimally adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Note: Candidates with less experience and qualifications may be considered for a lower level position. Candidates with higher qualifications and experience may be considered for a higher level position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at: