Job Number: BCH-R-6283-190906E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
We currently have a challenging and exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer in our Analytical Studies Team in the Station Growth and Sustainment Department.
The Analytical Studies team helps resolving technical challenges when planning for new Load and IPP interconnections and applications of major high voltage equipment in BC Hydro system by conducting detailed transients studies required to identify the impact of those interconnections and equipment application to the system. The team is responsible for specifying important equipment ratings that meet the most extreme transient conditions. As experts in power system simulation, the team provides support to asset planning and engineering to develop cost efficient and safe solutions.
- Engages in the engineering of electrical utility systems and develops specialized expertise in the analytical studies.
- Performs analytical studies such as harmonics, motor starting, VAR support, insulation coordination, IPP interconnection, load interconnection, shunt reactor application, secondary arc, transient recovery voltage, abnormal system condition investigation etc. and prepares study reports.
- Engages in modeling of transformers, circuit breakers, shunt capacitors, shunt reactors, series capacitors, surge arresters, transmission lines, special drives such as VFDs, generators, point on wave controllers and other equipment in both PSCAD and EMTP-RV for various studies.
- Imparts engineering knowledge and encourages the professional development of junior engineers.
- Provides necessary supports to the planners in Stations Growth and Sustainment department and other BC Hydro groups.
- Develops and maintains effective professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by Canadian Universities. A Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field is an asset.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in a relevant field in electricity utility.
- Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Fully developed technical knowledge in electric utility engineering disciplines.
- In-depth technical knowledge of major high voltage equipment up to 500 kV such as transformers, circuit breakers, shunt and series reactors/capacitors and their applications and performance.
- Demonstrated experience in modelling and running PSCAD and EMTP-RV.
- Skills in conducting a variety of power systems analytical studies.
- Knowledge of relevant CSA, IEC and IEEE standards applied to equipment specification and application guides.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Work will require limited amounts of travel throughout the BC Hydro system.
- Applicants with lesser qualifications and relevant experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered at the appropriate level.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 29, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.