The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Reporting to the Senior Utility Planning and Modelling Engineer in the Utility Modelling and Data Management (UMDM) Branch, the Utility Planning and Modelling Engineer will be responsible for creation, verification, operation, and maintenance of hydraulic/hydrologic models for a sewer system comprised of a combined, sanitary and drainage pipe network, pump stations, and outfalls. The hydrologic/hydraulic models will be used for a number of functions including sewer capital project selection, combined sewer overflow reduction strategies, rainwater management planning/implementation, growth/development planning and a variety of operational and maintenance programs.
- Procures professional services to support the creation and management of models;
- Identifies model data needs and complete system data gap requirements;
- Develops modelling scenarios that optimizes the sewer system performance and identifies opportunities to minimize combined sewer overflows;
- Responsible for model calibration and verification using available flow and rainfall monitoring data;
- Completes sewer system analysis to support capital projects and growth planning related to redevelopment area plans;
- Implements and maintains QA/QC plans for the sewer model;
- Assists in the delivery of technical reports related to the hydraulic modelling tasks including preparation of graphs, sketches, and figures, and hydraulic plans and profiles;
- Assists in the planning of monitoring locations and data inputs required for model calibration and validation; and
- Engages with Metro Vancouver staff and industry to update the model.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering (or equivalent);
- Registration or eligibility to register as an engineer-in-training or a professional engineer in BC;
- A minimum of 3 years of related sewers system modelling and planning experience required;
- Hydraulic and hydrologic modelling experience, specifically related to combined sewer, sanitary, and drainage networks preferred; and
- Experience in urban sewer flow, rainfall, and I&I analysis.
- Understanding of the operation and performance of combined sewer, sanitary, and drainage infrastructure;
- In-depth knowledge of sewer infrastructure planning principles including flow and rainfall monitoring, growth and population projection, I&I, system evaluation, and capital projects;
- Familiarity with a variety of hydraulic and hydrologic modelling software, such as, but not limited to, Innovyze’s InfoWorks, DHI’s Mike Urban, and PCSWMM;
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS datasets and analytics;
- In-depth knowledge of hydraulic and hydrologic parameters of sewer and drainage catchments and networks;
- Proficiency in hydraulic modelling procedures including model build, sewage load allocation, model calibration (RTK and Envelop methods), scenario development, and system assessment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent writing skills (e.g., technical reports, presentations, letters, and memos);
- Proven ability to multi-task, while still progressing a project; and
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Application Close: September 1, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.