Job Title: Construction Contracts and Claims Specialist
Job Number: BCH-R-5732-180221E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The Construction Contracts and Claims Specialist is a senior, experienced contract management professional with a proven ability to lead the management of complex contracts for a diverse portfolio of projects through strategic thinking and influential leadership.
The Construction Contracts and Claims Specialist will lead the development and implementation of capital construction claim avoidance, mitigation and management practice and procedures by working collaboratively with leaders across BC Hydro to meet business objectives, corporate standards and policies, and using change management strategies for the effective communication
of these changes.
- Provide expert level of advice on contract delivery models and contract related issues to senior management and other stakeholders.
- Develop strategies to ensure preservation of BC Hydro entitlements through effective and timely application of contractual mechanisms.
- Provide consultation and sound advice on BC Hydro’s position with respect to the validity, and impact, of any and potential claims from contractors.
- Support in preparation of claim submissions on behalf of the Hydro’s Representative.
- Liaise with stakeholders to understand, identify, and calculate costs associated with claimed events, delay costs, and schedule impact.
- Lead and participate in the negotiation of settlement of claims.
- Conduct quality reviews of claims related construction and contract management practice deliverables. Challenge the status-quo and identify areas of improvement to reflect “best practice”.
- Engage and collaborate with internal or external legal advisors on contract management issues where significant legal or financial implications may arise.
- Drive the development of contract management plans on complex contracts thereby defining the process and procedures to fulfill the contractual obligations and identifying the contractual risk and its specific mitigation plans, and
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring to develop skills and knowledge within the Capital Construction Team.
- University degree in business, engineering, law, or related discipline.
- One or more professional designations/certifications (i.e., PMP, SCMP, IACCM).
- Strong technical background with competency in engineering and design is an asset.
- 12 or more years of contract management/supply chain experience in supporting projects with complex construction contracts, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience operating within crown corporations or government environments and familiarization with the utility industry sector would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated experience leading the management of complex contracts, claims, and negotiations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and results in developing and implementing new processes and procedures across an organization, and
- Strong communication, facilitation, and analytical skills.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 14, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.