The Krahn Group of Companies is a full-service, multi-disciplined engineering firm specialized in commercial, industrial, and residential building design. Over the past 30 years, we have established a reputation for providing the most innovative, comprehensive, and cost-effective solutions to clients.
The Intermediate Mechanical Technologist plays a key role of designing mechanical systems in residential, commercial, and industrial building to deliver energy saving, safe, and cost-effective solutions to clients. Manage project activities from conception to completion and assist senior staff with production. Other duties will fall under the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager on a project-by-project basis.
- Perform drafting and design operations using AutoCAD/REVIT software.
- Responsible to provide technical assistance to senior staff by maintaining design files, setting up and completing heating and cooling load calculation files, preparing electrical motor list, and completing HVAC, fire protection, and plumbing layout and drafting with minimal supervision.
- Follow project design requirements as established by project manager and senior design lead on each project.
- Adhere to Krahn’s design standards in preparing drawings and specifications.
- Coordinate and guide junior staff in preparation of contract drawings, documents, and other tasks.
- Perform shop drawing submittal reviews and respond to mechanical contractors.
- Coordinate mechanical designs and documents with other engineering and design disciplines.
- Provide mechanical engineering support during construction and carry out field reviews with senior staff.
- Attend client meetings with senior staff and respond to client in a timely, respectful and comprehensive manner.
- Liaise with clients and contractors for government approval.
- Conduct post project reviews to identify areas for improvement; make recommendations based on findings.
- Take on additional responsibilities as required.
- Ability to read architectural, structural, electrical, and civil drawings with minimal supervision.
- Solid understanding of building science, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and airflow fundamentals.
- Solid knowledge of NFPA, NECB, and ASHRAE standards, local building code, and National Plumbing Code.
- Operating knowledge of AutoCAD is required.
- Experience with Revit is an asset.
- Working knowledge of cooling calculation programs such as HAP or Trace7oo is required.
- Experience in energy modeling and load calculation programs, such as EE4, ComCheck, HAP, HOT2000, eQuest, DesignBuilder, OpenStudio, EnergyPlus, and/or PHPP is an asset.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter and team player.
- A valid driver's licence.
- University degree or college diploma in mechanical engineering is required.
- EIT classification is an asset.
- 3–5 years of experience in building sector with design experience in HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection systems working in cold climate design.
- LEED accredited professional designation considered an asset.
Please apply to this posting with your resume and a cover letter outlining your salary expectations.
We appreciate your efforts to apply for this role and thank you for your interest. However, only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.