Powertech Labs Inc., BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia, and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: generation, transmission and distribution, substations, power systems, grid modernization, and advanced transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists, and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Team Lead – Mobile Applications to lead, develop, and grow a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, BC.
Powertech’s Grid Modernization Sector is focused on helping utilities, manufacturers, and partners across the globe in understanding and managing the changes to electric utility distribution driven by new, smart, communicating devices and technologies. Our department offers services in distribution grid management, distributed energy resources, critical infrastructure communications, and mobile applications for T&D. Mobile applications team is a new team in Grid Modernization that uses modern web and mobile technologies to deliver rich, user-friendly applications for utility field inspections, work management, and safety. This team is experiencing an explosive growth as our mobile applications are expected to grow in functionality as well as clientele.
Reporting to the Director, Grid Modernization, the incumbent will lead the Mobile Applications team by providing technical and professional leadership in achieving work program objectives.
- Manage, lead, and support a team of engineers, developers, and product managers to deliver mobile application development projects of varying complexities.
- Provide technical and commercial leadership with respect to the design, architecture, and commercialization.
- Play an industry-level expert role in promoting our global leadership role in T&D inspection, asset management, work management, and safety.
- Actively engage our global customer base to solicit, respond to requests, provide products and services, request and respond to feedback on services provided.
- Provide input and recommendations on budget, work planning, and resource allocations for the Sector.
- Assist in developing the objectives, quality assurance standards, and performance measurements to meet customer needs.
- Assist in managing the technical and operational performance of the team to meet objectives and client servicing needs.
- Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals, and conducting client follow-up.
- Assist the sector director in staff selection, training, and recommending promotions.
- Deliver technical training courses to clients.
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science recognized by universities in Canada preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in software development within electrical engineering application areas; equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered; preference will be given to candidates with expertise in several areas: web applications, mobile applications, GIS/mapping, and other similar commercially available products.
- Registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC is required.
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of a highly qualified team of technical experts, as well as management of software and consulting projects for national and international customers.
- Eligible to obtain NERC (security) and other related cyber security clearances.
- Eligible to supervise other NERC-qualified individuals.
- At least 5 years of experience leading and mentoring engineering software development teams, preferably in mobile/web applications.
- Strong knowledge of electric utility workflows, field work management tools and GIS.
- Strong knowledge of electric power system and utility business.
- Proficient in web/mobile application development tools.
- Object-oriented languages, C# preferred.
- Front-end development and responsive design.
- ASP.NET MVC Framework, or other MVC framework.
- Front-end model binding with MVVM framework, such as Knockout.js.
- Cross platform mobile development, such as Xamarin or Cordova.
- Demonstrable experience with software development best practices.
- Software development cycles utilizing Scrum or Agile.
- Dev ops practices and technologies for continuous delivery.
- Testing frameworks for test automation.
- Familiarity with map-based application platforms such as ESRI, GE.
- Familiarity with power system asset management and field work methods.
- Strong experience leading mobile software development teams.
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring and setting up architecture principles for web/mobile development of engineering-oriented tools.
- Entrepreneurial with proven track record in business development success.
- Demonstrated management of a P&L and an understanding of annual planning, budgeting and business forecasting.
- Knowledge of environmental, socio-economic, and public interest issues and their impact on area of expertise.
- Broad technical knowledge of the utility business with recognized technical expertise.
- Excellent leadership, team building, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences and liaise with peers in industry.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making capabilities.
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
Location: Based in Surrey, BC
Job ID: TLMGM2020.21
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation and Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at www.powertechlabs.com