Associate Director, Finance
November 5, 2018
Open Until Filled
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Administration Officer (CFAO), this position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Finance and Administration Department, including finance, accounting, budgeting, risk management, and administration. In addition to developing and leading effective teams to ensure the accurate and timely preparation and analysis of financial information, the position also collaborates with the Leadership Team in strategic decision making to enhance organizational operations and member support.
- Facilitates the development of all financial plans, budgets, forecasts, and projections, and ensures adequate controls are in place in accordance with GAAP standards, contract requirements, and the CRA; works closely with the management team to develop strategies for improving financial performance and ensuring cost-efficiency.
- Ensures the accuracy of all financial information; conducts financial analysis, membership collection trending reports, and prepares detailed financial reports and statements on financial performance relative to goals for the Leadership Team.
- Manages accounting and financial systems, and maintains full and accurate accounting records; reviews and approves monthly accounting procedures, including balance reconciliation, account working papers, and journal entries; compiles quarterly and annual financial binders for the CFAO to review and approve.
- Assists with the annual audit process, manages staff in the process, and supports the Audit Committee in carrying out their responsibilities; responds to auditors’ comments and inquiries concerning finances and operations and oversee required action(s) to address deficiencies; assists in the preparation of financial reports and analysis to the Council, the Executive Committee, and the Audit Committee.
- Manage and ensure compliance is achieved for PCI requriements to ensure that credit card processing is not impacted and personal and financial information is secure.
- Manages and reviews annual tax filings to CRA for the association, Foundation, and Benevolent Fund.
- Reviews the Foundation and Benevolent Fund monthly financials and annual audit working papers. Attends Directors’ meetings to present financial results and answer related questions.
- Assists in the risk management process such as implementation of new processes and reporting requirements.
- Manages staff with accountability for hiring, training, and coaching; conducts all aspects of performance management, including making recommendations for training and development.
- Identifies opportunities to reduce operating expenses in areas like banking fees and property management expenses; oversees the annual billing process.
- Assists in the management of scheduled building maintenance and building improvements.
The successful candidate has:
- A bachelor’s degree in commerce or business administration.
- The CPA designation.
- 7–10 years’ relevant experience working in finance including GAAP, taxation, forecasting, budgeting, financial analysis, and risk management.
- Advanced Excel skills and solid Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) experience.
The position will require the successful candidate to demonstrate that they have:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal,
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience building and managing strong teams,
- Ability to work with and manage confidential information,
- Ability to think, plan and lead strategically,
- Ability to work collaboratively and manage complex projects, and
- Attention to detail.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is responsible for the licensing and regulation of BC’s professional engineers and geoscientists. With over 34,000 members, we are the second largest regulatory body in the province. We offer a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, generous benefit program including a group health program, group retirement program, generous vacation allowances, and a flex day program that offers compressed workweeks.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume
in one PDF document to Human Resources at