Director, Programs and Professional Development
March 20, 2019
Open Until Filled
Reporting to the Chief of Strategic Operations, this position is responsible for strategizing, planning, and directing the development and administration of various organizational programs including continuing professional development, mentoring, annual conference, affinity, and branches. Contributes as a member of the Leadership Team and works collaboratively with others to support strategic goals and initiatives.
- Oversee the management of the professional development program including maintaining appropriate profit margins and reaching revenue targets, overseeing the development of the program budget and monitoring monthly financials, developing new business opportunities, and providing guidance and support to staff as required.
- Oversee the management and delivery of the annual conference including overseeing the development and management of the budget, negotiating contracts, developing new initiatives, and looking for on-going improvements to enhance conference experience.
- Ensure events such as Professional Member Induction Ceremonies and Past Presidents Forums are organized and well received.
- Responsible for the development, management, and reporting of complex budgets, oversees monthly forecasting; identifies and implements opportunities for increasing existing association revenue; develops and implements measures for mitigating revenue loss, including those caused by market conditions.
- Structure and support the association's regionally based Branch program including allocating available resources to all branches, strategizing and implementing program improvements, providing advice and guidance to branch representatives, ensuring governance functions, supporting and guiding meetings of the branch representatives, and ensuring branches meet financial and reporting requirements.
- Provide direction and support to the Women in Engineering and Geoscience Division including alignment to the association’s strategic goals, updating terms of reference and providing periodic reports to council on division activities.
- Manage direct report and indirect reports. For direct reports, holds accountability for hiring, training, and coaching; conducts all aspects of performance management including making recommendations for training and development. Provides support and guidance in support of indirect reports.
- Participates as the senior staff liaison for the Mentoring Committee and works with the committee to develop initiatives and policies on mentoring activities and the administration of the Engineers and Geoscientists BC Mentoring Program; develops strategies and directs staff to increase awareness and uptake of the program.
- Engages contractors and vendors to provide services (e.g., videographers, online learning developers, advertising); communicates expectations (project scope), deadlines, negotiates terms and follows up on progress.
- Participates as the senior staff liaison to Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Benevolent Fund for the development of policy for grant requests and operations and other matters related to meeting the requirements of the BC Societies Act and CRA Charities Directorate; ensures documents are filed and procedures adhered to in accordance with the Societies Act.
- Strategic long-term planning, succession planning, and continuous improvement initiatives including exploring new ways to provide additional value to members.
- Travel required that includes day travel within the Lower Mainland for various events throughout the year and overnight trip for travel to Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s annual conference and AGM as well as for presentations to branches.
The position will require the successful candidate to demonstrate that he or she has:
- Minimum 10 years combined relevant experience,
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field,
- Executive level communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation),
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience building and managing strong teams,
- Experience developing and managing complex projects and programs,
- Experience with budgetary oversight both organizationally (i.e., department budget) and with project based budgets,
- Ability to think, plan, and lead strategically,
- Experience with large event management, and
- Ability to work collaboratively and gain consensus.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is responsible for the licensing and regulation of BC’s professional engineers and geoscientists. With over 34,000 members, we are the second largest regulatory body in the province. We offer a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, generous benefit program including a group health program, group retirement program, generous vacation allowances, and a flex day program that offers compressed workweeks.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume
in one PDF document to Human Resources at